Smoke rings

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
carlMichael

Smoke rings

Post by carlMichael »

Hi to all of you!

So what do you all Think about this one?

Made the bowl normal way and then set it all on fire ;-)

Hoe you like

carlMichael
calsbeek

Re: Smoke rings

Post by calsbeek »

never mind that the aesthetic isn't my thing:

Is this pipe finished?
you didn't cut the slot.
The inside of the bowl needs to be sanded
there are cut marks all over the place (filing? knife work?)
the stem looks like its made from wood. If so, thats gonna be a problem down the road.

I laud your creativity, but your finish work needs work.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

There's also spots where the stain didn't reach. This pipe is not finished and its more than just aesthetics. Open up the slot properly. Do not sell this unless you first fix these issues.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

Thanks for good criticism. Made a few changes and its now sold fore good money to a happy pipe smoker.
The steamer is made of stabilized wood so I think it works fine.

cM
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

carlMichael wrote: Made a few changes and its now sold fore good money to a happy pipe smoker.
Yeah, uhm, you probably shouldn't have said that here.
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

W.Pastuch wrote:
carlMichael wrote: Made a few changes and its now sold fore good money to a happy pipe smoker.
?

Why... I don't get it... isn't it what's it all about. Make them, get some feedback here, make some changes and then sell it?
and then start up a new build better skilled than the last one.

cM
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

carlMichael wrote:
W.Pastuch wrote:
?

Why... I don't get it... isn't it what's it all about. Make them, get some feedback here, make some changes and then sell it?
and then start up a new build better skilled than the last one.

cM

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10656&start=20
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I have a feeling legs are being pulled!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

TJ, is that you? :raishand:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

George, don't think it's TJ. It would be impossible for him to make something that fugly!
My first impression of this piece is a backed up toilet bowl.
Still, legs are being pulled!!!
He sure does have a lot of weeds in his yard!
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

carlMichael wrote:Thanks for good criticism. Made a few changes and its now sold fore good money to a happy pipe smoker.
The steamer is made of stabilized wood so I think it works fine.

cM

What is "good money"? What stabilized wood is used? What was it stabilized with?

Carmichael,

I would have to agree with the other posters that this pipe should not have been sold, and even with the corrections suggested.

Your knife handles show some considerable skill in the design, finishing, and shaping. You have not applied that yet to your pipes.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

Hi again!

When I read all your comments I must say that I get confused of some of them. Why do you think that "legs are being pulled"?
Well... Í am fully aware that some of my pipes is not in level as most of yours and perhaps my knifes, I do have a long way to go yet.
But likewise as I some times do need to have fun when making my knife and not take everything so seriously, I also will do this whit pipes.

This Pipe is one example of that, at first a complete failure and just put I a junk box. Then a friend come up whit the idea to put it on fire... and that was fun so I decided to do that :-) Well in my eyes it came out well and I decided to complete the pipe.

So what is good money then..? I will not put out the sum here...sense some will get crotchety about it... but I was satisfied, the byer likewise... so what is the problem? Some call it ugly... the byer call it beautiful... its all in the viewer's eyes I think.

Stabilized woods have been impregnated with monomers and acrylics to produce a dimensionally stable wood. Some advantages of stabilized products are that they minimize or totally eliminate; shrinking, cracking, expanding and warping. Stabilized wood will not absorb water, impervious to oils, no raised grain when sanded and they take a very high polish.

Yours

carlMichael
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

That is a very high polish??

Dude, you're not just playing too close to the road. You are playing in the middle of the freeway!
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

carlMichael wrote:Hi again!

When I read all your comments I must say that I get confused of some of them. Why do you think that "legs are being pulled"?
Well... Í am fully aware that some of my pipes is not in level as most of yours and perhaps my knifes, I do have a long way to go yet.
But likewise as I some times do need to have fun when making my knife and not take everything so seriously, I also will do this whit pipes.
People have their opinions and ideas. We know you are a real person. Do not worry about it.
This Pipe is one example of that, at first a complete failure and just put I a junk box. Then a friend come up whit the idea to put it on fire... and that was fun so I decided to do that :-) Well in my eyes it came out well and I decided to complete the pipe.
Just my opinion. It should have stayed in the junk box.
So what is good money then..? I will not put out the sum here...sense some will get crotchety about it... but I was satisfied, the byer likewise... so what is the problem? Some call it ugly... the byer call it beautiful... its all in the viewer's eyes I think.
The issues with the pipe are too much for it to be a saleable pipe. I say this with 25 years experience selling pipes, and 15 years experience making pipes. There are too many issues with this particular pipe that needed to be fixed and the materials used are questionable. Also, I would hope that you would want to only sell work that is up to a certain standard that is much more than this pipe. You are very capable as a craftsman, but you have not yet reached your potential with pipes. This pipe was practice and you may make many more for just practice before you really have saleable pipes. Keep making them and keep getting feedback. Put a hold on selling pipes until you have some feedback from professional pipe makers. Of course this is my opinion.
Stabilized woods have been impregnated with monomers and acrylics to produce a dimensionally stable wood. Some advantages of stabilized products are that they minimize or totally eliminate; shrinking, cracking, expanding and warping. Stabilized wood will not absorb water, impervious to oils, no raised grain when sanded and they take a very high polish.
Stabilized woods still will leach out saps/resins, they are not always impervious to water, oils, etc., and some people can be allergic. It is not ok to use them as a stem material unless you are 100% sure there are no toxins that can affect the customer. Why not just use Acrylic or Ebonite? Or other material that is proven?
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies