Three Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Literaryworkshop

Three Pipes

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I'm back.

I hadn't made a pipe for four or five months--got busy with family stuff--so now over the holiday I finally got back to it and made three pipes. I'm a little rusty after the hiatus, but not as bad as I feared I'd be.

The first is a diamond shank billiard. I'm still not sure about the overall shape, but it had been on my bench for three months, half-finished, and after a while I decided I just had to finish it. I was going for a longer-than-normal stem and stummel.
Pipe #39 Briar Diamond Shank Billiard 12-2015.jpg
(145.21 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Pipe #39 Briar Diamond Shank Billiard 12-2015 (2).jpg
(157.34 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Pipe #39 Briar Diamond Shank Billiard 12-2015 (5).jpg
(132.85 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
I decided to experiment with filling in large pits with metal inlay. I think it came out okay.

I could point out a few flaws, so I don't really need critique on this one, but if you just can't restrain yourselves, go ahead.

The next ones are a pair of churchwardens, which I made for myself and my daughter, who is just over the legal tobacco age now and occasionally has a pipe with me. I made them from the same medium-sized block, so I wasn't able to be picky about grain direction. She wanted a smaller one, and I wanted one with a plateaux top.
She's delighted with hers, and I'm okay with mine. They both smoke fine, so I don't give a crap what the rest of you think of them.
- Steve S.
Rodneywt1180b

Re: Three Pipes

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

"She's delighted with hers, and I'm okay with mine. They both smoke fine, so I don't give a crap what the rest of you think of them."

That's the important thing.
Rodney