Chubby Author Guidance

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
clickklick

Chubby Author Guidance

Post by clickklick »

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on a chubby author and I need some help with the profile. I need to tidy up the cheeks a bit, but mainly in the side profile, something just seems a bit off and I can't figure out what. Can any of you give me some help in telling me what needs to be refined on the stummel side profile?

Much appreciation!

Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
Ratimus

Re: Chubby Author Guidance

Post by Ratimus »

The back side of the bowl is not symmetrical to the front side; the slope isn't steep enough. Thankfully that means you've got too much material on there. It's always easier to take more off than to put it back on. ;-)
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by scotties22 »

The Rat got it right. You need to make the front and back of the bowl match. That will make a huge difference in how it looks.

You also still have a ton of material to take off the stem. You really need to thin it out towards the button. Here is one I am working on at pretty much the same place yours is. My stem may look a little too tapered, but after bending it will be just about perfect. (And I still have some material to take off the top of the stem about a third of the way from the shank.)

Hope this helps
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

What I notice, from the photos, is that Scotties nails are much cleaner. I believe Rad would say.............hope this helps:)
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

baweaverpipes wrote:What I notice, from the photos, is that Scotties nails are much cleaner. I believe Rad would say.............hope this helps:)
Only because I washed my hands before I took the picture :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

The back of the bowl shouldn't be symmetrical to the front. I would say most of your shaping is in tightening up the cheeks and of course working on that stem.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Well, this is interesting. I've been using my Rad Davis Chubby Author to help with the shape, and as caskwith states, the back of the bowl doesn't match the front on his. I do still have plenty of material to remove from the stem. The side profile still looks a bit off, maybe the bottom of the bowl is too round front to back?

I only own one author shape to compare to. I've been looking online at piucs, but there seems to be a lot of variation depending on make.

And for the record, Scottie's nails are much nicer than mine!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Without looking at Rad's version (he's dead to me), I'd say that what you are trying to establish is a bowl with a canted feel (indicated by the black line). The back and front profile won't match exactly in this type of shaping, the rhombus feel requires that.

I'd take some off the chin, currently the thing looks VERY round , not squat at all, and the sort of flattening out like a brandy near the top is uncomfortable with the cherubic roundness of the bowl, so make it look squatter and give it a nicer bottom line at the same time, more balanced (not just a ball on a stick).

Kill the zeppelin stem, that will only present as fatter and fatter as you bend it.

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Thanks Todd!

Here is a pic of my Rad.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

If I curved my shank like he did, maybe mine wouldn't look like a ball on a stick?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That would help too... generate some curve in the shank and carry it through the bottom of the bowl.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

I'll see what I can do! Thank you all for the help!
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Here is what I ended up with.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The big thing that sticks out to me is the stem. It bulges out on the sides as well as on the bottom line just after the shank. You can use a straight edge while shaping if that helps you see it. You want the line to be flat from front to back. Unless it's a fishtail, in which case it should go the other direction.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

The back of the bowl still doesn't seem right to me. Chris, care to explain why you think it shouldn't match the front?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

No idea, why, it just never looks right if it does, the angle going to the shanks needs to be sharper and straighter to get that curve right, if it matches the front of the bowl then you get a weird junction and are basically looking at an apple, not an author.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yip, agree with you on that. I had a look at some other authors, in my eye like you say, it should be sharper and straighter. It just doesn't look right if the back mirrors the front.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I guess it's a bit like "why does a bulldog have those rings" answer: "Because it just fucking does!"
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: Indeed!