Dublin with bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BrianMadsen

Dublin with bamboo

Post by BrianMadsen »

I finished this pipe just recently. It was a comission, and the customer just wanted a Dublin with bamboo - every decision beyond that was up to me. It was my second time sandblasting a pipe, and i really like how it turned out. And the stem is probably the best i've ever made.
Comments and useful critique are more than welcome.
Just wanted to share it with you guys. Happy easter to all of you, and enjoy the holidays!

pipedreamer

Re: Dublin with bamboo

Post by pipedreamer »

Looks good to me Brian!!!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's a nice dublin, Brian!

From the first picture, it appears that you've either got a dull finish on the ebonite where it attaches to the bamboo. That could be just dust, though. It's hard to tell.

Also, most of the time, you want the space between the knuckles to be matched both between the bowl and the first knuckle and the last knuckle and the flare. You've got the flare in the right place, but the shank on the bamboo is a tad long.

Finally, I see some places on the bamboo where it looks like you've got either some minor tearout or tooling marks near the ends.

The fact that I'm nit-picking here shows that overall you're doing well. Keep up the good work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Jeremiah gave a good analysis, but I'll add one more thing. The grooves that extend into the ebonite rings on both ends of the bamboo could use a bit more fine sanding. Admittedly, this is a very tedious area to get right. Just roll up some sandpaper real tight and spend some time in that groove. It's not fun, but it will make a huge difference. Good job man.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
gunn

Post by gunn »

i think it came out great. thanks for sharing pic's
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Thanks guys!
I will keep up the good work then :)
Revelation

Post by Revelation »

Looks very nice and that stem looks very good! I would be proud of it.
"When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints"
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Thanks! i am very proud of that stem. it's the best i've done (yet).
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Pretty nice pipe. I agree that the briar shank before the bamboo is a bit long as Jeremiah pointed out. The only other thing that catches my eye and it may just be the photo, is that the shank appears to bow ever-so-slightly upward. If it truly does, a slight bend in the stem would balance it out.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Thanks Wayne. You are right about the bend in the bamboo. I thinked about bending the stem, but i liked it so much without a bend that i didn't do it. The bowl has a little forward cant, so i think that makes it a bit more even.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

wdteipen wrote:Pretty nice pipe. I agree that the briar shank before the bamboo is a bit long as Jeremiah pointed out. The only other thing that catches my eye and it may just be the photo, is that the shank appears to bow ever-so-slightly upward. If it truly does, a slight bend in the stem would balance it out.
This is what gets me too, the pipe looks like it's sagging into a hole. Bend the stem a hair!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Too late, it has been sold. But, i'll keep it in mind next time