Panelled shank Pot

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Panelled shank Pot

Post by kamkiel »

My attempt at a pot as well as trying to panel. I started this pipe before the PITH, and with being busy and all, just got around to finisjing it up. Don't be appalled by the crappy grain. As usual, comments and critques are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Kiel
DocAitch

Re: Panelled shank Pot

Post by DocAitch »

I like the general shape, symmetry, and finish.
My only criticisms are that the top of the shank rises from about 1/4 of the way from the stem to the bowl and that the transition is not crisp. I would try to make the top line of the shank more parallel with the bottom (with a slighter taper and a shorter radius at the transition) and there is a slight hunch back on the dorsum of the stem just before the stem shank junction.
The whole top line of the stem/shank would benefit from a smoother line.
Nice pipe.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Look at the second photo. It has a stamping. Do I see USA?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

DocAitch wrote:I like the general shape, symmetry, and finish.
My only criticisms are that the top of the shank rises from about 1/4 of the way from the stem to the bowl and that the transition is not crisp. I would try to make the top line of the shank more parallel with the bottom (with a slighter taper and a shorter radius at the transition) and there is a slight hunch back on the dorsum of the stem just before the stem shank junction.
The whole top line of the stem/shank would benefit from a smoother line.
Nice pipe.
DocAitch
Thanks Doc. I'm with you on the top line. It definately could have been done better.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

baweaverpipes wrote:Look at the second photo. It has a stamping. Do I see USA?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!
What's wrong Bruce? You have a problem with America? :)

It was my first attempt to stamp a pipe. I have a nice big ugly stamp made that I'm still figuring out.