Smaller Olive Billiard...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Smaller Olive Billiard...

Post by JMG »

Smaller Olive billiard. 4 3/4" long, 1 7/8" tall. Dark blue/black swirl cumberland handcut stem (hard to tell it's blue in the pics.) This is my third handcut stem. I was thinking that a smaller stem would be easier, but I had a harder time with this one than the first two that were longer. I think my lines on the stem could have been more crisp, but I am happy with the slot this time. Also, the stem should have been almost twice as long. It's too short and the proportions are off, bummer. Anyway, I would appreciate any critique you can give.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Re: Smaller Olive Billiard...

Post by LatakiaLover »

Nice. The only fudge I see is in the bottom photo, where the shank/stem joint bulges slightly. Especially along the "top" (right side of the pipe). That's usually caused by not compensating for the hardness difference between the two materials when sanding. In such clean, geometric designs, the lines from bowl to button should stay straight, whether or not there's a slight flare (divergence) of the lines.

As a heads-up, if you find the pipe is hard to clench because of the steepness of the stem's taper, the solution is a taller button next time, not lowering this one (which will only make the problem worse.)

I keep finding it hard to believe that you shape your pipes with hand-held baby crocodiles.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You have essentially a cylinder for a bowl. A classic billiard is slightly thinner towards the rim, has the widest spot just above the top line of the shank, and a gradual curve from the middle of the bottom of the bowl all the way to the rim. Overall not too bad. A few details would make it great.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for the help, guys.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad