Rod Davies: A Tribute

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

Rod Davies: A Tribute

Post by Sasquatch »

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown." - Genesis 6:4

Yes, children, gather round. You think it's tough here, and it is, a little. But it's not like it was. Kindly, well meaning pointers, criticisms apologetic and subjective. It used to be different. Giants roamed the land, men of power, and not to be trifled with. Their word was law, to disobey the law was to be scorned, if you were lucky. Of their ilk, one stood taller yet, one I shall never forget: Rod Davies.

Yes, it was Rod who told us that beauty was skin deep but amateur was to the bone. Rod who told us "Don't do that."

Rod's pipes were fun. They were good. They incorporated ideals from many aesthetic influences, and they came together in tidy little packages that people like to own. He evoked whimsy and expertise at a single stroke. His pipes ranged from sinuous to outright blocky, and goddam it, they all worked. Just like that.

I met the man. Yes. He came up to my table in Chicago, these years ago. And he picked up a pipe of mine. He looked me in the eye as he jammed his thumb into the pipe and spun it round. I quavered. I could not speak. But Rod spoke. And I'll never forget it. He said "Hey man, is that coffee up front free?"

It was the greatest moment of my life.

So here's to you Rod, we miss your cranky ass, sort of. Sometimes. Not really.

But I made this here pipe, and when I had it all drawn out, I said to myself "That there is a pipe Rod Davies might have liked." So here it is.

Made from briar, just like a Rod Davies pipe, and it has a stem. I learned these things from Rod. Oh and it's a goofy shape and all curvy, and there's a fun little adornment that hopefully adds to the piece. Just like Rod Davies.

So here's to you, Rod.

Hope this helps.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Re: Rod Davies: A Tribute

Post by JMG »

Sasquatch wrote:Made from briar, just like a Rod Davies pipe, and it has a stem. I learned these things from Rod.
I laughed at this.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The main thing that come to mind when I think of Rod these days is wondering if it's possible to die from trout poisoning. :lol:

I have a matched pair of his signature cuttys that look great and smoke great. I should clean them up a take some pix.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I hear Rod Davies made pipes before electricity was invented by Thomas Edison....and he had to walk to school in the snow...uphill...both ways!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Although Bruce and George now share curmudgeon duties, they can't pen a cutting phrase of prose like Rad, who said simply "that's fucking ugly." Such economy of words.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

That is very Rod-ish.
Spoke with him last week and all is well with him.
I'm not as old as him, he's a year older, but I completely understand the retirement.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I tease the old fucker mercilessly on facebook. And if he doesn't show his grizzled face here soon, that's where this is heading. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

I have a historical picture of Lincoln at Gettysburg and Rod can be seen in the foreground :shock:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com