Research Project

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Research Project

Post by ToddJohnson »

There seem to be a few here with a penchant for scientific exploration as it relates (or often doesn't relate) to pipes. Any of you briar alchemists out there interested in trying to track down critical data about potential hazards of working with ivory? Aside from the fact that it is particularly noxious, I am interested in whether or not the dust is hazardous. Any takers?

Todd
JHowell

Re: Research Project

Post by JHowell »

ToddJohnson wrote:There seem to be a few here with a pentient for scientific exploration as it relates (or often doesn't relate) to pipes. Any of you briar alchemists out there interested in trying to track down critical data about potential hazards of working with ivory? Aside from the fact that it is particularly noxious, I am interested in whether or not the dust is hazardous. Any takers?

Todd
Calcium and protein, a few minerals, hmmm. Why do you suspect that it may be hazardous? Are you experiencing a reaction? As one who experiences some allergic problems, I can offer a couple of general comments. An individual may experience an adverse reaction to any particulate matter that is inhaled. Some substances trigger receptors that release a histamine response. Mold spores, wood dust, dust mite feces, pollen, etc. Others trigger a vascular/motor response (runny nose, cough) that is often mistaken for an allergy -- many people who say they are "allergic" to smoke actually are experiencing this sort of irritation. Other substances, like sandblasting media, may be chemically inert, but quite damaging to lung tissue. Still others actively damage cells. Plutonium dust would be an extreme example, but organic compounds like toluene are pretty bad, too.

I would eliminate this last problem when considering ivory's potential hazards. Also, I would doubt that it is likely to cause lung damage like silicosis. It is durable, but biodegradable. The other potential problems depend to a great extent, I would expect, on the individual.

FWIW, I wear a respirator whenever I'm generating fine dust that can't be collected effectively. In working with ivory, I try to use sharp tools as much as possible and minimize sanding, so that I'm dealing with shavings more than dust. It should be clear by now that I'm not going to actually do any research, here : ) . However, if I *had* to research this, I'd search whatever journals and archives are maintained for/by dentists. Certainly ivory has been worked for hundreds of years, but most of the work has been carving, which doesn't raise much dust. However, dentists are grinding teeth all day.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Im no briar alchemist but I have understood through other pipemakers that ivory and much bone material promotes lung cancer in dust form...wich one can attain in much more pleasurable ways as the stink is awfull .

best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

geigerpipes wrote:the stink is awfull .
As someone who works with ivory on almost every pipe, I will have to give the response common among residents of a paper mill town, "What stink?"

Todd--whose wife always reminds him what stink.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

ToddJohnson wrote:
geigerpipes wrote:the stink is awfull .
As someone who works with ivory on almost every pipe, I will have to give the response common among residents of a paper mill town, "What stink?"

Todd--whose wife always reminds him what stink.
Todd,

I use to live in a pulp mill town too. The most common answer when the uninitiated asked what the stink was, was, "That's the smell of money." I still think I'd rather smell pulp mill than the perm-on-fire smell of working with antler and ivory.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

geigerpipes wrote:Im no briar alchemist but I have understood through other pipemakers that ivory and much bone material promotes lung cancer in dust form...wich one can attain in much more pleasurable ways as the stink is awfull .

best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
I think chronic exposure to almost any particulate matter, including wood dust, is considered a lung or nasal cancer risk. One of the woodworking magazines ran an article this past year on a recent announcement to that effect by one of the government agencies in charge of researching and announcing such things. I think it's only prudent to protect one's lungs from any kind of dust inhalation. It might not seem to me that ivory would pose any greater threat than briar dust, but neither would I assume that the threat is any less. The more I make pipes, the more I wear a respirator.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I use a respirator and if it's noisy, like when using the sander and vacuum, I'll use ear protection as well.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com