Billiard...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Billiard...

Post by JMG »

5" long, 2" tall, 1 1/4" wide. 3/4" chamber. Critiques and advice welcomed and appreciated as always.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Re: Billiard...

Post by LatakiaLover »

Top view. The slight bulge on both sides of the stem over the first 40% of its length shouldn't be there.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:Top view. The slight bulge on both sides of the stem over the first 40% of its length shouldn't be there.
Yeah, I was trying to flair it out a bit toward the end. However, I should have either not done it at all or exaggerated it a good bit more.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I really like the bowl shaping. Overall it's a nice pipe. To my eye, though, with the tall bowl, a slightly longer stem would balance the pipe out visually. I would have made the stem the same length as the measurement from the end of the shank to the face of the bowl.

A couple things with the stem that I think you need to work on. It looks like your's spending a lot of time on the profile as the top and bottom of the stem is flat but it looks like you didn't spend much time blending that laterally as it rounds to the sides. It should go from round to oval flattening towards the bit. Yours is more of a rectangle with rounded corners if that makes sense. One other thing is I would not got straight into the taper in the stem straight from the end of the shank. Let the stem follow the shank taper for a bit then gradually turning into the taper. I hope that makes sense. It's a good pipe. Nice work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks, Wayne. I agree that I should have made the stem a bit longer. I think a 1/2" would have done it. I think I understand what you were saying about the sides. I am finding it a bit difficult to have the sides fade from shank to bit on the fade into each other. A proper billiard still alludes me.