A horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

A horn

Post by kamkiel »

An attempt at a horn. I would love some critiques, comments are welcome too.

Thanks for looking,
Kiel
JMG

Re: A horn

Post by JMG »

I love the horn shape.

It's hard to tell from the photos as they are aren't super clear, but it looks like your finish/buffing could be better. Also, and this is probably just a personal preference, but I think it would have looked a little better if the stem was just a little shorter and carried out the curve of the entire pipe.

All that said this looks really great overall and you kept the lines of the stummel from front to back flowing really nicely.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks JMG. I used the camera on my phone for the pictures. Took the picture at a distance and then cropped it. I will be more considerate next time while taking photos.

I was actually think that the next one should have a shorter stummel and longer stem, More like 50/50. It would be nice to able to start the stem earlier in the shaping process, but I have such a hard time with proportions.

Thanks for the feedback!
JMG

Post by JMG »

kamkiel wrote:I have such a hard time with proportions.
Me too!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I think that it very well,done. Your exposure of the gran is perfect, and the gran carries thru the
entire shape. Is that a juma stem?
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Excellent job given the beastly difficulty of holding long lines and maintaining symmetry. A shape as plain as that exposes every weakness in your tool-handling game. Props for simply attempting it. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

DocAitch wrote: Is that a juma stem?
Yep
LatakiaLover wrote:A shape as plain as that exposes every weakness in your tool-handling game. Props for simply attempting it. :D
Yep :oops:

I blame my attempt at making a horn on Abe H. He makes a beautiful horn. I was looking the pipes he brought to the China Pipe Show. Since then, I had to try one myself.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Nitpick: next-to-last pic appears to show the slot being rotated clockwise just a bit in relation to the bowl. Overall, great execution.
T. Suominen

Post by T. Suominen »

+1 on what the others already said.

For nitpicking and for purpose of perfection chasing:
- The backside on the "bowl" seems to straighten out, instead of continuing to eternity with a continuous radii, like on the frontside.
- There seems to be a slight bulge underside of the stem, on the shank end.
- The backside facet-edges doesn't quite play along with the frontside facet-edges. (Probably because of the backside-bowl-straight-thing..)
- Edges are a bit too rounded (Probably from buffing?). Makes the pipe look a bit "lumpy".
- The right cheek seems to have a bit too much material on it. (This adds to the slot-rotation thing, pointed out by Mr. Oklahoma..)
- The top-bowl needs some charisma, it's a bit impersonal...
- The side panels seem to be dead flat, little roundness is required there.

But as said before, it's a good piece. And I'm just beeing picky :)...
Very brutal shape, as it reveals all flaws instantly.
LatakiaLover wrote:Excellent job given the beastly difficulty of holding long lines and maintaining symmetry. A shape as plain as that exposes every weakness in your tool-handling game. Props for simply attempting it. :D
Do I sense a little softening for the Horn shape? Perhaps even a little, itty bitty, tiny liking for it? :)
When you abstain from shouting, you embrace hearing.

http://tspipes.kuvat.fi
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done!