Shiney again

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
munkey

Shiney again

Post by munkey »

I have a couple of pipes where the finish is dull and waxing doesn't seem to help. What is the safest way to get these pipes to shine again? Buff before waxing?

Thanks,
-Scott
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Yep...get a new buff and use white diamond buffing compound on it. Then buff with carnauba (with its one wheel).

That should make it nice and shiny.

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Tyler, is there any risk that this method might remove some of the stain from the pipe or is it pretty well set after being smoked for a while? I know that the white diamond compound is a fine fine compound, but couldn't that still be a risk?

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Yes, there is arisk of removing some stain. It should be minimal, if at all.

Tyler
MilesW

Post by MilesW »

Any suggestions to the Speed of the buffer. In other words what make or type buffer is the best for this type of operation? Should it be a low speed buffer?
Nick

Post by Nick »

There is a (rediculously) comprehensive FAQ document on buffing at the ASP site. here's the link:

http://www.aspipes.org/faq/faq/ASP_Buff ... ng_FAQ.pdf
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I use my lathe as a buffer with a 6" wheel at 1240 RPM for buffing bowls with white diamond.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Although I have never attempted to rebuff a pipe that I have made, when originally applying white diamond, I too use a thick 6" buff to apply the compound. Then I move directly to the carnauba wax and final buff. I suppose that this is the suggested process for "rebuffing" a pipe, though my previous concern still stands, that it may indeed remove some of the stain and alter the coloration of the pipe.

Jeff