starting the slit (tip?)

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bscofield

starting the slit (tip?)

Post by bscofield »

I don't have any experience with working with rod stock yet, but I was playing with a pre-fab the other day that I had cut the slit/lip off of. I know I had a hole there and so circumstances weren't ideal, BUT... I found that if you take one of those discs that you can buy for rotary tools, the one's that are for cutting through metal (and wear it down till it's the right size for this process), that you can very easily start a very neat little slit guide. Just take the end of that and cut into the slit area and stop when the width has reached what you would like it to be. You have beginning of a slit. I found it to be very useful.

FWIW...
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Ben,

The Demel bit #199 is ideal for cutting the slit:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XC578&P=FR

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

oh yeah... how 'bout that! It's nice and thick too... what's the diameter on that? You don't cut the entire slit with that do you? I wouldn't think you can go deep enough. Do you just start it with that?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I don't know the diameter for that, but the hieght of the slit that it makes is right around 1mm - perfect for making nice, thin, comfortable stems.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

You don't cut the entire slit with that do you? I wouldn't think you can go deep enough. Do you just start it with that?
I cut the slit, widen it a little with a diamond point bit, and then widen the 1/16th hole side to side with a 1/16th bit (using the side of the bit to cut with) in the dremel. It makes a nice flattened funnel for easy, open smoke travel.

Rad
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

one thing to think of when using a dremel for such operations is that i cuts at way to high a speed (10000-30000 rpm) 8O and actually burns the ebonite wich is a rather heat sensitive material i usually use the little dremel blade but in my metal lathe at a much lower speed 180 rpm....then use a cordless handheld "powerdrill" with a 1,5mm drillbit to get a nice v slit

best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/