PITH 2018!!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

PITH shape

Poll ended at Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:31 am

Ivarsson Tribute
22%
Bamboo
No votes
Briar Calabash
6%
Author
22%
Not round shank w/cap
6%
Pencil shank
6%
Cavalier
6%
Live edge plataeux
No votes
Wolfsteiner theme
6%
Lovat w/acrylic stem
No votes
Dublin
No votes
Oom Paul
No votes
Bent bulldog
No votes
Pipe on the PMF homepage
11%
Nosewarmer
11%
Reverse Calabash
6%

Total votes: 18

Janka

Re: PITH 2018!!!!

Post by Janka »

DocAitch wrote:These are the three that I did, recipient gets his choice. The photos are not proportional. The dark one is the largest tobacco chamber, the acrylic stem one is somewhat the smallest.
DocAitch
They all look really well! Lots of great looking pipes are made this year. Despite my personal dislike for this shape, after three attempts I am starting to actually enjoy it!

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
RickB

Post by RickB »

Janka wrote:They all look really well! Lots of great looking pipes are made this year. Despite my personal dislike for this shape, after three attempts I am starting to actually enjoy it!
Agreed - I'm really excited by how well everyone has done.
And I'm sort of the other way around. I used to think I liked authors, and then I made three of them and it was almost enough to make me give up pipemaking! :lol:
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Not my favorite shape either, but I did get a commission out of it, and will have two that I can sell.
I don’t think any would have made a splash at NAPCC a couple of years ago, but they are in the ballpark.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
JMG

Post by JMG »

I started mine tonight (I know, I know...LATE start. Mumble, mumble, excusesssssss) Anyway, I will do my best to have it wrapped up by the extension date. Side note, the stem/rod is just a place holder I messed up a long time ago and now use as a bit to protect my shank face sometimes. OH...any critique would be much appreciated. Is my bowl too tall?

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Bluesytone wrote:Whats the word on when these need to be wrapped up? I keep having other stuff popup and end up on another pipe.
Should be done by the 7th, and I’ll be generating the list on the 8th. I’ll need a confirmation that you are done either posted her or in a pm to me so I know to include you.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

JMG wrote: OH...any critique would be much appreciated. Is my bowl too tall?

I'd say the bowl is too tall. I'd take it down by a quarter inch, possibly a bit more.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I've been done with mine for a week or two now. I'm working on another, just because I wanted to try a more traditional take on the author. Probably won't finish that one, but regardless, I'm still on board.

On a side note, I haven't been participating much in the thread this year (been busier than a one-armed paper hanger), but I have been monitoring the progress frequently. Something that strikes me about this year in particular is the high level of some first time participants and the clear improvement by the newer guys. I'm highly impressed. The entries aren't always that great. Us veterans around here remember the older PITHs. Remember the fruit and vegetable themed PITH? Yeah, it was nuts.....
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Ocelot55 wrote:I've been done with mine for a week or two now. I'm working on another, just because I wanted to try a more traditional take on the author. Probably won't finish that one, but regardless, I'm still on board.

On a side note, I haven't been participating much in the thread this year (been busier than a one-armed paper hanger), but I have been monitoring the progress frequently. Something that strikes me about this year in particular is the high level of some first time participants and the clear improvement by the newer guys. I'm highly impressed. The entries aren't always that great. Us veterans around here remember the older PITHs. Remember the fruit and vegetable themed PITH? Yeah, it was nuts.....
Nuts indeed, mine was an acorn.

Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Manny, I'm good to go.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'm still working on mine, but I will be finished by the deadline. Count me in.

ronps

Post by ronps »

All done and ready.
RickB

Post by RickB »

Done and ready, will sew a bag in the next couple days.
I'd mentioned all this one my Instagram, but this pipe was a few firsts for me - first time using German ebonite, first time cutting a tenon, first time getting my crease good and shiny (loving the updated method from George!). The shaping is better than the previous two, but still not quite as good as I would have liked. The drilling was a comedy of errors. Got a little tearout in the chamber from drilling too fast, mortise bit wandered (I was trying to get a cleaner mortise floor), which is why I cut the tenon instead of my usual delrin. Tried to stabilize the mortise with superglue and messed up my fit, and ended up having to sand it back out and it looks like garbage. On the plus side, I think I'm really getting the hang of finishing, this is the glassiest shine I've ever gotten. Should smoke decently I hope, other than the ugly mortise I think the internals should be sound.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

My pipe is rough shaped. I'll get the stem bent and sanded today. If all goes well it'll be off the blaster tomorrow and wrapped up by the weekend.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
PeskyPrussian

Post by PeskyPrussian »

My author is all set and ready, just need to sew up a bag.
Adam Bybee
bybee_pipes - instagram
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'm done. Just need to stamp it. Plenty that needs to be fixed. I got some good critique of what to do, but I'm just running out of time. Sorry to whoever gets this one. This was a tough shape and ended up being a rushed pipe for me. Hopefully it will smoke ok, though.

Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

I’m done and good to go

my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
Janka

Post by Janka »

I'm done! Not very proud of my work, but I learned a few things while making it.Image

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
RickB

Post by RickB »

This feels like Christmas morning did when I was a kid. So glad I participated this year.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

It’s now the 8th. Who’d do we contact?
DocAitch.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Well I certainly didn’t want to post any excuses especially of this caliber. I am still working on it. I was hoping to finish tonight or tomorrow. I will get it done, but not till this weekend. Carry on without me if need be. I worked on it tonight for about an hour and then got a call from my landlord of 16 yrs saying that they’re wanting to vacate and renovate the 160 year old home I live in, and give it to a family member. I have until October 1st to find a new home for my 3 kiddos and myself. I came back from my landlord and tried to work on it a bit not but I cannot focus right now. I’m sorry.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar