billiard 4

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Doug535

billiard 4

Post by Doug535 »

Had to shorten the bowl due to a flaw. What needs attention?

Sasquatch

Re: billiard 4

Post by Sasquatch »

Little tough cuz as you say, the bowl should be 1/2" taller probably... put a straight edge on your stem, see any wobble, light peaking through, any areas where the straight edge rocks? Stem looks just a little bit zeppelin shaped, just a hair.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Sasquatch wrote:Little tough cuz as you say, the bowl should be 1/2" taller probably... put a straight edge on your stem, see any wobble, light peaking through, any areas where the straight edge rocks? Stem looks just a little bit zeppelin shaped, just a hair.
Gotcha Sas, it is in fact a lil zepplined, just initial shaping started. How's the bottom of the bowl and bowl/shank transition look to you? Am I in the ball park?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ballpark yes, possibly a bit much off the chin but it's hard to judge that stuff without the rest of the bowl being there, to me - I see these things as somewhat holistic.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RickB

Post by RickB »

Sasquatch wrote:Ballpark yes, possibly a bit much off the chin but it's hard to judge that stuff without the rest of the bowl being there, to me - I see these things as somewhat holistic.
^ IAWS. Also it looks like the chin comes too far back on the pipe - my understanding is that from the center point under the chamber through the end of the shank should be dead straight, but it's hard to tell without the top of the bowl. Unless it renders the pipe unsmokable, I'm generally inclined to not chase flaws real hard at this point because I'm still very much learning how to shape properly, but YMMV.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

RickB wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Ballpark yes, possibly a bit much off the chin but it's hard to judge that stuff without the rest of the bowl being there, to me - I see these things as somewhat holistic.
^ IAWS. Also it looks like the chin comes too far back on the pipe - my understanding is that from the center point under the chamber through the end of the shank should be dead straight, but it's hard to tell without the top of the bowl. Unless it renders the pipe unsmokable, I'm generally inclined to not chase flaws real hard at this point because I'm still very much learning how to shape properly, but YMMV.
Thanks Rick, that's probably what I should do, just go with intended shape and screw it if it's got a flaw and finish as is.
RickB

Post by RickB »

Doug535 wrote:Thanks Rick, that's probably what I should do, just go with intended shape and screw it if it's got a flaw and finish as is.
That's definitely what I'm doing a lot of these days, that and finishing most of them smooth whether the grain deserves it or not until I get that process to a place where I'm happy with it.
Makes for a nice little collection of shop pipes :lol:
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
JMG

Post by JMG »

Too much off the chin. Given that you had to take some off the top, this one seems to be caught between a billiard and a canted pot. I think if you thinned out the shank and stem though that this could end up pretty cool.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

IAWJMG
I think that if a mm or two were removed from the diameter of the shank and the bottom of the bowl, the receding chin would be mitigated and it would be a very nice canted pot.
Alternatively, the sides of the bowl could be reshaped to make a canted apple or pear (with the shank/stem reduced in diameter)
Both of these suggestions are dependent on there being enough briar at the bottom of your bowl.
I realize it is pretty late for this suggestion since it appears that you sandblasted this pipe already/
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy