author attempt #3

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Doug535

author attempt #3

Post by Doug535 »

I'm working on another author, I know I'm still a little asymmetrical on the bowl shaping at this point and have a slight low spot on the right side on the shank right at the transition. Neither of those will be a problem to fix as I left enough on the shank to accommodate a screw up. Am I headed in the right direction or close enough for a classic author? Bowl is at 1.754 at widest spot, height is 1.654, chamber is 1.335 and stummel is 3.009 long. I can also see that I'm not quite as round on the bowl shape as Scotties. Note: not sure why it looks like the rim is thin at the top of the 3rd pic, I've checked it with my calipers 3 times and it can't be more than a couple thousandths difference all the way around. no matter which side is in the up at the 12 O'clock position it looks thin, optical illusion? Bad eye's? I am going to the eye Doc tomorrow BTW.

Doug535

Re: author attempt #3

Post by Doug535 »

pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Nice shaping different take on it. Am I wrong but isn't the shank a little longer and the top flat on a traditional author personally I like your approach
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

Standard grain of salt, but I'm liking how that's looking.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks pipeguy and RickB, at least it's pretty close to the plan i drew up for it, so far.