A request from me to you PMF'ers

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

A request from me to you PMF'ers

Post by LatakiaLover »

If you've clicked on any of those videos I recently posted to YouTube, you might have noticed that comments were disabled.

Two reasons for that: I'm not interested in dealing with 1) the quicksand pit that questions quickly become when viewers' background and experience level includes rank beginners; and 2) the troll idiots that are part of the YouTube landscape in general.

Here on PMF, though, those things aren't much of a concern.

So. Keeping in mind that I'm interested far more in communication than entertainment, only cover real projects (which makes re-shooting most segments impossible), and finally figured out the best settings for the focus robot that lives inside the camera (the last segment of the re-tenon series was a particularly vivid learning experience :lol: )... what do you see that if changed or added would improve things?

Subjects for future installments also, please. After living with this stuff for so long I've forgotten what I DIDN'T know at one time. (Sounds weird, but that's a characteristic of how human brains incorporate specialized information)

Muchacho gracioso 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Re: A request from me to you PMF'ers

Post by sandahlpipe »

1. Contrary to your statements, I think it would be beneficial to see you file and sand the whole time. There are aspects of filing and sanding technique that can't be taken for granted.
2. Links to the products (G-Flex epoxy, etc.) that you mention would be valuable. I took an educated guess on the hockey tape, but I'm not 100% sure I got the right kind.
3. I'd love to see you put in video some of the kinds of repairs you've done and put in photo essay form on the forum. It's one thing to see pictures and read a description, but the technique of how it's done is where I've learned the most so far.

That's it from the peanut gallery. Since I'm not really a repair guy, this is good quality entertainment and education for me, but tangentially applicable until someone steps on my pipe and sends it back to me for repair.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

A leather apron, and nothing else.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:A leather apron, and nothing else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQfmSIEs5k
RickB

Post by RickB »

IAWJ, and to a marginally lesser degree IAWS.
Loving the videos, and yep I do think my dumb ass could use seeing all the steps you don't think we need to see (for example, I'm fairly certain I'd fuck up sanding down the old broken tenon in the more recent vids, even if the answer is a simple one). I'd mentioned this over on https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/, but I'd love it if you got an Instagram account just to post like a daily shot from the bench - seeing the ins and outs of the repair world so in depth has been awesome.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

You just keep doing what you're doing George. The vast majority of us know how to
File and sand. Love your vids :D
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RickB wrote:I'd mentioned this over on https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/, but I'd love it if you got an Instagram account...

This is my take on social media in general, I'm afraid.

Sorry. (me = grumpy old guy) :mrgreen:

seamonster

Post by seamonster »

George,
the videos are GOLD, nuggets of GOLD. Thank you. You mentioned, I believe, that bending big ole day stems was a real donkey-pig-bear-bitch. I'd love to see your take on that...... cause, you know....... author.
'kay thanks.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

IAWJ, on seeing filing/sanding technique. Also for instance, showing how you removed the old tenon on this last video set, from the stem itself would have been beneficial. One can assume you used a belt sander but, maybe not. I did notice that you left a very slightly raised spot on the stem from the old tenon, again assuming that that is so you could line up the pin gauge for alignment on drilling for the new tenon, because you did mention that the airway was off center. Which totally makes sense. A mention of that during the video or a footnote might keep someone from facing it off and having an OH F__K moment. As you said, these are things that you have learned and take for granted because it's what you do everyday. I have, I hope, gained a little more insight from these videos and very much appreciate you taking the time to do them.

EDIT:
IAWSM too, I wanna see ya bend a big ole fatty, because author :mrgreen:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Doug535 wrote:...showing how you removed the old tenon on this last video set, from the stem itself would have been beneficial. One can assume you used a belt sander but, maybe not.

The black thing is a pencil eraser. Makes a great vibration-free, non-slip rest for small items:

wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

George, you smell like a colostomy bag, but you make a fine stem. Also, I had a tuna sammich for lunch. That is all. -evan
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wisemanpipes wrote:George, you smell like a colostomy bag, but you make a fine stem. Also, I had a tuna sammich for lunch. That is all. -evan

Oh yeah?

Well... (hmm... gotta think)...

Um, your hockey skates are dull, your snow machine needs a tune-up, and you drink Lucky Lager!

So THERE. Harumph!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

RickB wrote:I'd love it if you got an Instagram account just to post like a daily shot from the bench - seeing the ins and outs of the repair world so in depth has been awesome.

I'm not joking when I say this is George's cell phone and it literally has 2 phone numbers saved in it. Any type of phone originating social media is a no-go for our not-so-friendly neighborhood codger. :thplt:

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I really think we need to get you set up Lee Von Erk Style with cams at every tool and workstation. Then you can just facebook live it all and be done. No editing, it's all just live streamed for our enjoyment.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

scotties22 wrote: I'm not joking when I say this is George's cell phone and it literally has 2 phone numbers saved in it. Any type of phone originating social media is a no-go for our not-so-friendly neighborhood codger. :thplt:
Holy shit that's amazing.
scotties22 wrote:I really think we need to get you set up Lee Von Erk Style with cams at every tool and workstation. Then you can just facebook live it all and be done. No editing, it's all just live streamed for our enjoyment.
I'd watch, and not even because I'm a weirdo. I mean, I am, but that wouldn't be why :lol:
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ha! That Scottie woman sure is easy to fool. Showed her a visitin' friend's fancy-ass phone and told her it was mine. :twisted:

Hell no. Nothin' that high-falutin' for ME, no sir!

I still got Maybelle, and she works just fine, thankyouverymuch:

oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:Ha! That Scottie woman sure is easy to fool. Showed her a visitin' friend's fancy-ass phone and told her it was mine. :twisted:

Hell no. Nothin' that high-falutin' for ME, no sir!

I still got Maybelle, and she works just fine, thankyouverymuch:

AHA!! Now I know what is in that satchel you drag around with you.
Quietfly

Post by Quietfly »

I think the vids are great. I also would love to see how you file as technique can be as important as anything. Thank you again for making them .
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'd love to see your process on a tapered stem.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I'd love to see one of your projects where instead of recreating the original stem (flaws and all) you replace it entirely with an "ideal" stem and explain the design decisions that lead you to differ from the original.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods