prince #3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

prince #3

Post by Doug535 »

I think I'm getting better on my stems and slots, still not perfect but getting there I think (Thanks George for all the info you have been putting up on video)
Lemme know what ya think, thanks all.

Doug535

Re: prince #3

Post by Doug535 »

ricebiscuit

Post by ricebiscuit »

Solid effort. Blast looks pretty good and love the black. Couple of things on the bowl shaping - They each relate to each other.

1)To me, the fattest part of the bowl on a prince should sit just at or below the midpoint of the bowl. On yours it looks like its sunk down to about the 3/4 mark.

2) The back of the bowl (closest to button) does not match the profile of the front of the bowl. Point #1 would help with this, and allow you to return the backside of the curve back to the stem. Think about shaping it like you turned the bowl without the stem on a lathe.

See the pics below for a couple of example dunhills, Chris A and a sweet Parks.

Trey Rice

Trey Rice Pipes - www.treyricepipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

IAWRB
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks for the input guy's. Would you then consider this more of a brandyish shape, I am working on another try at the prince, when I get my initial shaping done I will post in the stummel section.
ricebiscuit

Post by ricebiscuit »

Its all subjective. To me It could be a brandy, it could be a billiard if the bowl was a little taller. I like to go to smoking pipes and look at the shaping of different makers. Im looking for things like where does the waist sit, especially in relation to the meeting point of the top of the shank? How much curvature (roundness) does the bowl have, overall proportions, etc. And I pay attention to the actual dimensions they list when I sketch out a pipe. You should be able to find several princes and compare them to find what you like.
Trey Rice

Trey Rice Pipes - www.treyricepipes.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks for the response Trey, I'm thinking part of my shaping problem is not wanting to take enough material off in the heel area which would effectively move where the bulge is. I have corrected that on the one I'm working on now. I do look at smokingpipes for ideas, just not getting my shaping down where it should be.