prince 9/2/18

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

prince 9/2/18

Post by Doug535 »

scotties22

Re: prince 9/2/18

Post by scotties22 »

Your bowl/shank transitions need to be a bit tighter (smaller radius).

The bowl could be a touch shorter to my eye.

Stem/stummel ratio look good.

Bowl symmetry looks good.

The stem bend looks maybe, maybe, just a touch overbent.

From the top view: the flare of the stem is off. This is super duper tricky to get just right. Since it's something that I am still working on it really jumps out to me. Maybe put just a touch more taper on the sides of the stem and it will help with the lines of the shank and stem from the top view. You've got a straight shank into a tapered stem, it's just not quite right to the eye.

You're really starting to dial these in Doug!
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

scotties22 wrote:Your bowl/shank transitions need to be a bit tighter (smaller radius).

The bowl could be a touch shorter to my eye.

Stem/stummel ratio look good.

Bowl symmetry looks good.

The stem bend looks maybe, maybe, just a touch overbent.

From the top view: the flare of the stem is off. This is super duper tricky to get just right. Since it's something that I am still working on it really jumps out to me. Maybe put just a touch more taper on the sides of the stem and it will help with the lines of the shank and stem from the top view. You've got a straight shank into a tapered stem, it's just not quite right to the eye.

You're really starting to dial these in Doug!
Thank Scottie, not sure about the straight shank comment. Measuring right behind the radius of the transition it's .600 and at the end of the shank its .525 (.075 in about 3/4 ") Could be my inability to take a decent picture or maybe I should do more taper. The bowl is 1.50" high and 1 .71" wide and as I've never had an actual Prince in my hand I've gone off of the listed sized posted on the the interwebs pipe sites. That may or may not be a good idea. I've also looked at several of the stems that are posted on them and they seem to range wildly between each individual carver, although I'm still not happy with the outcome of this one either. Some seem to scoop more off the bottom but I'm not sure I like the way that looks either.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

From the profile view the shank taper is okay. It's from the top view that the shanks too straight. It would be more noticeable if your bowl/shank junction was tighter. Hope that made sense.

The bowl height really is subjective. Most of the time my princes are 1.5" tall and 1.75" wide. The last two I have made are 1.5" wide and 1.2" tall. I'm really digging the smaller bowl.
www.ladybriar.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

scotties22 wrote:From the profile view the shank taper is okay. It's from the top view that the shanks too straight. It would be more noticeable if your bowl/shank junction was tighter. Hope that made sense.

The bowl height really is subjective. Most of the time my princes are 1.5" tall and 1.75" wide. The last two I have made are 1.5" wide and 1.2" tall. I'm really digging the smaller bowl.

Those measurements are from the top view, it is actually slightly less on the profile view, gotta be my picture taking inability. Not arguing with you, just trying to figure out why you are seeing it as straight. In hand you can tell it has a definite taper :-? I too like a little smaller bowl, I'm really digging the size of the first little brandyish shaped Prince i did awhile back, has been my go-to pipe lately.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I don't think it's the pictures and maybe I'm just getting hung up on the bowl/shank junction. Take a look at the bowl/shank junction on this prince of mine. The radius is a lot tighter than on yours so it gives the shank and stem a cleaner look.

www.ladybriar.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Aha, so it needs "more" taper angle. And I could tighten up the junction and transition a bit. I do leave extra meat on the transition if I know I'm gonna hafta blast it as that has bitten me before, I would rather it be a little fat, so to speak, than melt away and have to pitch it.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, that's a really tough line to walk. I have found that if you shape it like normal and then make sure you blast evenly it shouldn't be a problem. When I blast a pencil shank I don't leave any extra meat at the bowl/shank junction. I just shape it like normal and then pay close attention while I'm blasting that I don't hit that spot heavier than the rest of the pipe.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Haha...yeah, I know. George is always great and finding exactly what needs to be improved in my pipes. He's the guy that keeps me honest....and grounded ;-)
www.ladybriar.com