Alien Egg sitter, maybe?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

Alien Egg sitter, maybe?

Post by Doug535 »

I went with something a little off the wall on this one. I'm still working on the stem and would like input as to whether I should put any bend in it? I'm not sure that it would look right with the bubble in the middle and don't think I can get it to bend through the whole stem with that thicker bubble area. The green was not on purpose, now i know what happens when you do a black under stain followed by a yellow top stain. Can it be done without the bleed over?

Doug535

Re: Alien Egg sitter, maybe?

Post by Doug535 »

JMG

Post by JMG »

I don't love it, but that's just my personal flavor coming into the picture. What I do like is on the top side pic how you carry the shape of the shank into the shape of the stem...that looks pretty cool. The profile shot of the blade of the stem looks like it may be a little wavy judging by the light lines. And the finish on the stem looks like it could be better, but that could just be the lighting. Slot and button look nice. Color choice is good, I think, for the oddity of the shape. Somebody will love this.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

JMG wrote:I don't love it, but that's just my personal flavor coming into the picture. What I do like is on the top side pic how you carry the shape of the shank into the shape of the stem...that looks pretty cool. The profile shot of the blade of the stem looks like it may be a little wavy judging by the light lines. And the finish on the stem looks like it could be better, but that could just be the lighting. Slot and button look nice. Color choice is good, I think, for the oddity of the shape. Somebody will love this.
Yeah John, the stem is not totally finished, I slightly buffed to check my lines so I can correct before final polish. I didn't figure this one would get a whole lot of love but needed to stretch my legs, so to speak.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Doug535 wrote:
JMG wrote:I don't love it, but that's just my personal flavor coming into the picture. What I do like is on the top side pic how you carry the shape of the shank into the shape of the stem...that looks pretty cool. The profile shot of the blade of the stem looks like it may be a little wavy judging by the light lines. And the finish on the stem looks like it could be better, but that could just be the lighting. Slot and button look nice. Color choice is good, I think, for the oddity of the shape. Somebody will love this.
Yeah John, the stem is not totally finished, I slightly buffed to check my lines so I can correct before final polish. I didn't figure this one would get a whole lot of love but needed to stretch my legs, so to speak.
I recently made something that looks more like a crack pipe than a tobacco pipe...I get it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad