RC cherrywood 11/02/18

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

RC cherrywood 11/02/18

Post by Doug535 »

Sasquatch

Re: RC cherrywood 11/02/18

Post by Sasquatch »

Technically that's a pipe with very few problems, and minor - I see slight eccentricity in how much material shows on the "flat" around the slot, for example, and I'd like to see a slightly tighter transition on the bottom side of the shank: I get that you are working with a flowing shape here but I kind of think a little more definition on what is the bowl shape on the backside would help.

Aesthetically, I don't like the shank at all, and I'm not sure if I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't "get" reverse calabash design or if maybe what's bugging my eye here is that the bowl proper is a dublin, drifting uniformally wider at the top, and the shank isn't a match for that - the shank flares on the top side but just rounds up and in on the bottom side for a sort of shape like you'd find on a zulu or horn. So it kind of looks like two pipe shapes mashed together to me, I'd have rather seen an echo proper of the bowl, if that makes sense. But that's pushing out of the realm of the objective perhaps. Maybe someone else will have some ideas about the shaping.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I notice that the negative space between the top line of the shank and the bowl is nearly symmetrical, and that's really nice. where it starts to feel uncomfortable or disharmonious is that the bottom of the shank and the front side of the bowl are not symmetrical, or even really related.

zi also think the stem feels like a totally separate design language. how could the "language" of the stem and particularly the stem flare speak the same as the shaped in the bowl and shank? I can those elements more closely echo each other?

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

PS stem needs more bend. just saying.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/