Wanting to make a few nice pipes as gifts

Tell us who you are.
joshua

Wanting to make a few nice pipes as gifts

Post by joshua »

Hello Everyone,

I've read through the Open Letter, Guidelines, and Forum Rules. I'm here to learn. My overall goal is to make a few pipes here and there as a hobby, for myself and some friends.

I'd like to make nice stems and good looking, good performing pipes. I'll read through and learn what I can. I was glad to find this forum. Truthfully, I don't even know the proper nomenclature or wording to use yet to ask questions, so I'll do some good reading before I ask anything. I'd guess most of my questions have already been asked and answered anyway.

I work on a metal lathe and mill most days so I'm hoping some of that will translate over to this hobby. While my only goal is to do this as a hobby for me and a some buddies (for gifts etc), I'd really like to do things right and make a few nice pipes. As a kid I did a decent bit of wood working and took shop class from JR High through HS. I'm a novice at best and don't know anything about pipe making.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to learning.
oklahoma red

Re: Wanting to make a few nice pipes as gifts

Post by oklahoma red »

Welcome Joshua. There is an unbelievable wealth of information here so dig in.
Like most bulletin board sites, I would politely advise you to search for an answer before posting a question. The chances that the question has already been answered are quite high.
Already having lathe skills is a big plus. Lessens the chances that you will maim yourself.
Just watch out for Latikialover. He belongs in hibernation 24/7. :lol: You can learn a lot about pipe making by watching his pipe repair videos on YouTube.
Good luck!
joshua

Re: Wanting to make a few nice pipes as gifts

Post by joshua »

oklahoma red wrote:Welcome Joshua. There is an unbelievable wealth of information here so dig in.
Like most bulletin board sites, I would politely advise you to search for an answer before posting a question. The chances that the question has already been answered are quite high.
Already having lathe skills is a big plus. Lessens the chances that you will maim yourself.
Just watch out for Latikialover. He belongs in hibernation 24/7. :lol: You can learn a lot about pipe making by watching his pipe repair videos on YouTube.
Good luck!
Thanks!

.... and will do