Making progress

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bobm5586

Making progress

Post by Bobm5586 »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RkJp44aotP5iE1Nt5
Just got a metal lathe. This was the first spin. I know the shape is still irregular, but feel there has been improvement in my work.
Appreciate feed back.
Thanx
sandahlpipe

Re: Making progress

Post by sandahlpipe »

Next step is to turn the shank completely round from button to bowl/shank junction. If you’re in doubt, check with a straight edge. The bowl shank junction itself should be no more than 1/4” of a radius, and probably a little less, depending on the overall size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Bobm5586

Post by Bobm5586 »

Thank you. I had trouble with that part. When I first took it off the lathe it looked like a perfect pipe trapped in a mini block of wood. I had trouble removing the rest of it and getting the bowl shank transition to look right. It was the first one on the lathe and think I just need more practice.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The trick is thinking through how your tool is designed to work and which part of the tool removes material where. There’s plenty of room left on this to go back and shape the shank round. Focus on one line at a time. Make the top flat and parallel to the bottom line. Then flip the stem and make sure your stem fits upside down. Then do the same on the sides. Then round the corners, rotating the stem often to ensure you’re staying centered.

Also, watch Latakia Lover’s videos. They’ll be instructive in general, but specifically, he has a segment where he talks about how to get rid of lumps. I believe it’s in his diamond shank stem replacement video.
Bobm5586 wrote:Thank you. I had trouble with that part. When I first took it off the lathe it looked like a perfect pipe trapped in a mini block of wood. I had trouble removing the rest of it and getting the bowl shank transition to look right. It was the first one on the lathe and think I just need more practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Using Jeremiah’s method, you can get a nice round shank without a lathe. Don’t take off much material before you rotate the stem. I rotate 90 degrees and 180 degrees for a round shank, 180 degrees for diamonds and ovals.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy