sgmccleery

Tell us who you are.
sgmccleery

sgmccleery

Post by sgmccleery »

Years a pipe smoker: ~8 off and on
How you got into pipe making: Always wanted to make pipes, recently got bit by the bug thanks to a DIY kit.
Other interesting facts: Originally a graphic and UX designer, I've always been in my father's shop where he makes golf clubs, learning about the different tools. I love the artistic and freehand side of pipe making to make completely original one of a kind pieces.

I'm a huge typography nerd, so the intricacies of curves and shapes, and negative space are no stranger to me, and I think can transfer well over to shaping briar. I am looking forward to some more DIY kits before I plunge into getting a drillpress or anything else.

Recently picked up a bench grinder and a 1x42 belt sander to help. I have a couple of files and am most excited about staining and grain selection. Also finding stem crafting challenging and need to learn more. Looking forward to learn more from all of you!
DocAitch

Re: sgmccleery

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome Shane,
The Columbus area is a bit of a pipe making hotspot.
There a couple of carvers in the area and there is a pretty good show in August.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sgmccleery

Re: sgmccleery

Post by sgmccleery »

Thanks Doc.

I've been trying to reach out to a couple people out here to see if I can get me a propper learnin'

Very excited for the show in August and to make some new friends!