First pipe in a while

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ReverendThom

First pipe in a while

Post by ReverendThom »

It had been quite a while since I attempted to make something resembling a pipe (over a year?).

I know there's lots to improve, so open to everything and anything you can offer for advice on improving. What would you focus on most on the next one?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
JMG

Re: First pipe in a while

Post by JMG »

Ok...you get critique from PNG. Rustication: I would suggest to keep going with it. As it is, it looks like you stopped halfway through. Your second pic shows the that you lost the curve of the shape (its cheeks). Still to this day, I have trouble taking too much off that part. It looks like your bowl is almost tilted back toward the stem by a degree or two. This probably is not the case, but one thing this forum has taught me is that if you drill the chamber at 90 degrees to the draft hole, it will almost always look off. You need a couple degree tilt forward to get by this optical illusion. Third pic down, your shank appears to bulge in the middle a little bit. To quote Wayne, "Sand the chamber!"

All in all, a perfectly smokable looking pipe. Have fun making another one.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
ReverendThom

Post by ReverendThom »

Thanks buddy! I was surprised how tricky rustication is. I need to sharpen the nails a bit better I think.

Some helpful advice here!

ReverendThom

Post by ReverendThom »

Or maybe it's not really tricky but I've just discovered a way to make it so? Haha