inicol

Tell us who you are.
inicol

inicol

Post by inicol »

Years a pipe smoker: Almost 1

How you got into pipe making:
My great grandfather, whom I never met, smoked a pipe. I only knew him from stories, but he sounded like an incredible man. Shortly after turning 18, I decided that I wanted to try smoking a pipe as well. I went to my local B&M and picked up a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipe and some Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla. From the moment I lit up that pipe, I was hooked. Thankfully, I have since graduated to much nicer pipes and greater quality tobacco. After smoking my pipe occasionally for a few months, I took a trip to Chicago where I bought a bent billiard from Iwan Ries. Soon after returing to Ohio, I emailed someone who I knew to be a successful pipe maker. He invited me over and showed me many techniques as far as packing and smoking a pipe. While I was there, I also picked up a pipe making kit. Unfortunately, the kit sat untouched for many months while I went off to college. After my first semester, I realized that I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Realizing that I didn't want to waste my time and money in college, I dropped out of school and came home to persue other passions. At home, I was looking for a job, but unemployed and bored nonetheless. I decided to finally pick up my pipe kit and try to make a pipe. I had almost finished it, but realized I was having trouble fitting the stem to the shank. So, I emailed the pipe carver I knew and he invited me over. He helped me finish out my pipe, and I was overjoyed after seeing the final product. From then on, I realized that I had a passion for pipe making. This carver told me that he needed some help restoring estate pipes, and he offered me a job. I happily took the job, and have been working for him since then. I am now restoring pipes full time and learning to carve under the direction of this pipe maker in my freetime.

Other interesting facts: I enjoy gardening in my freetime, and am currently attempting to grow tobaccoo from seed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Pillichody

Re: inicol

Post by Pillichody »

Welcome Ian. Congrats on the job. Sounds like a great way to learn more. This forum is loaded with great information.