Draft hole in stem and stummel size

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
EdisonWizard

Draft hole in stem and stummel size

Post by EdisonWizard »

I just started pipe making, and I’m getting a lot of various advice on what size bits to use. Some say use a 1/16 tapered bit from the tenon end on acrylic but is this done on vulcanite/ebonite as well? then a flat tipped 1/16 bit from the button, then use a 1/16 side cutting bit to make button. But 5/32 for the stummel draft hole. Just confused and would like to know what is the best size to use...I need to order some bits for my lathe! What is the benefit of using tapered bits? I would think using the same size from the tobacco chamber to the button would be ideal, but I don’t know what I’m doing lol
Massis

Re: Draft hole in stem and stummel size

Post by Massis »

EdisonWizard wrote:I just started pipe making, and I’m getting a lot of various advice on what size bits to use. Some say use a 1/16 tapered bit from the tenon end on acrylic but is this done on vulcanite/ebonite as well? then a flat tipped 1/16 bit from the button, then use a 1/16 side cutting bit to make button. But 5/32 for the stummel draft hole. Just confused and would like to know what is the best size to use...I need to order some bits for my lathe! What is the benefit of using tapered bits? I would think using the same size from the tobacco chamber to the button would be ideal, but I don’t know what I’m doing lol
a 1/16" tapered isn't correct, most in fact use a 5/32" tapered (which has a 1/16" point) from the tenon side in the stem, and then a normal 5/32" in the stummel.
EdisonWizard

Post by EdisonWizard »

Massis wrote:
EdisonWizard wrote:I just started pipe making, and I’m getting a lot of various advice on what size bits to use. Some say use a 1/16 tapered bit from the tenon end on acrylic but is this done on vulcanite/ebonite as well? then a flat tipped 1/16 bit from the button, then use a 1/16 side cutting bit to make button. But 5/32 for the stummel draft hole. Just confused and would like to know what is the best size to use...I need to order some bits for my lathe! What is the benefit of using tapered bits? I would think using the same size from the tobacco chamber to the button would be ideal, but I don’t know what I’m doing lol
a 1/16" tapered isn't correct, most in fact use a 5/32" tapered (which has a 1/16" point) from the tenon side in the stem, and then a normal 5/32" in the stummel.
So when drilling out the stem, would you stop whenever the tip of the tapered bit first exits the button end? Or do you continue till you get to the full 5/32 width of the bit? I got a half circle 5/32 bit from Rawkrafted a while back to start drilling stummels, I’ll order a tapered one as well!
Massis

Post by Massis »

EdisonWizard wrote:
Massis wrote:
So when drilling out the stem, would you stop whenever the tip of the tapered bit first exits the button end? Or do you continue till you get to the full 5/32 width of the bit? I got a half circle 5/32 bit from Rawkrafted a while back to start drilling stummels, I’ll order a tapered one as well!
I tend to stop about 1/4" before the end of the stem, and connect with the 1/16" from the other side. If you continue further than that, your funnel will have a groove on top and bottom from the tapered bit.

Honestly for my stummels I use simple 4mm metal drills, they work fine :)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

4mm in the stummel, 3mm in the stem, tapering toward the button where it flares.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:4mm in the stummel, 3mm in the stem, tapering toward the button where it flares.
I'll bet you Brits have some fancy-schmancy name for miles, gallons, and pounds, too, eh? :roll:

Everyone knows you drive on the wrong side of the road out of pure contrariness, but sticking with your silly milli-this and deca-that is a bit rich, OK?

(Although when you do your women right I must admit they are VERY right)

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

:lol:
We do everything right here :mrgreen:
Massis

Post by Massis »

LatakiaLover wrote:
caskwith wrote:4mm in the stummel, 3mm in the stem, tapering toward the button where it flares.
I'll bet you Brits have some fancy-schmancy name for miles, gallons, and pounds, too, eh? :roll:

Everyone knows you drive on the wrong side of the road out of pure contrariness, but sticking with your silly milli-this and deca-that is a bit rich, OK?

(Although when you do your women right I must admit they are VERY right)
As a non Brit, I use 4mm in the stummel and 5/32" tapered in the stem with 1.5mm from the button side.

The only reason I use 5/32" is because I can't bloody find a tapered drill bit in europe...
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Massis wrote:
The only reason I use 5/32" is because I can't bloody find a tapered drill bit in europe...
I just made my own 3mm tapered bit.
Massis

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote:
Massis wrote:
I just made my own 3mm tapered bit.
tried that. Worked like crap. Bought a few more in the US.

I've got 4 orso tapered bits from the US and since they'll easily stay sharp for many many pipes, I'll be covered for the next few years.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Mine seem to work fine, I am only drilling about 10mm or so with it anyway.