churchwarden stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

churchwarden stems

Post by KurtHuhn »

Here's an interesting question:
What should a churchwarden stem look like?

I'm working on a couple churchwardens now, an opposite pair for the NASPC show, and I've made them with stems that I don't think I've ever seen on chuchwardens before. They're sort of oval, about 20mm wide, and tapered slowly from 20mm high to .15-.16 inches at the button. They retain the 20mm width all the way from the shank to the button. I've seen similar stems on Trever and Todd's pipes, though I can't recall if any were this long or not.

They're actually very well balanced right now (one sanding grit from ready to bend), and look pretty good despite being rather unusual.

So, talk it up! What's a churchwarden stem *supposed* to look like?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

Cool idea.
I just pulled out my micrometer and 20mm is bloody large.
Does it seem big?
I like the notion. Can you post photos?
Eager to see the results.
-Steve
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Kurt,

That sounds pretty cool. I can't say, in my opinion, that a churchwarden has any preset standards in my mind. Well, other than the obvious of being longer than a typical stem. I would love to see a pic or two when and if you have the time. Aside from everything, knowing the skill that you have Kurt, if anybody could pull it off it would be you.

Can't wait to see the pics.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

sounds a little heavy to me... i just won't smoke a churchwarden that i can't clench :wink: 8)

seriously though... i'm having trouble visualizing it. I'd go for some pics too.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ooops.

I typoed the width of the stems - they're 16mm, not 20mm (that's a big difference). But, they're still larger than normal.

I'll try to get some "on the bench" pics taken tonight. I should have them all roughed in and bent tonight, possibly sanded down to something approaching finished, even.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

AAHH YESSS...4mm in girth is quite a difference.
I am comforted to hear the it is 16mm because I was really thinking that these were going to be something like those big Swiss mountain horns in the RICOLA commercials.
The Heeschen "P" that I'm smoking today has a 16mm stem at the face of the shank.
I am eager to see the photos and I hope the pipes turn out like you want :thumb:
Best,
Steve