Beginner billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LifeOfBeard

Beginner billiard

Post by LifeOfBeard »

I attempted a straight billiard.

Now that I’m looking at it in better light, I’m seeing a lot I didn’t see before. There are a few file marks on both stem and stummel. The underside of the stem is a bit wavy. There’s a gap in the shank/stem transition. I’m interested in feedback on shape as well as anything else you see that I’m not seeing. Let me know what needs work. Thank you.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocAitch

Re: Beginner billiard

Post by DocAitch »

Not too bad for a first. Generally better than most first billiards.
The bowl shape is a bit squatty, more pot than billiard, ( but you work with what you have and adding height is not an option :).
The bottom of the bowl drops below the bottom line of the shank, not desirable. (you have to adjust your drilling to maintain thickness on the bottom of the chamber).
The line of the stem/shank unit looks OK on the lateral views, but when viewed from above or below, the shank diverges toward the bowl slightly too sharply, breaking the continuity of the line.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LifeOfBeard

Post by LifeOfBeard »

DocAitch wrote:Not too bad for a first. Generally better than most first billiards.
The bowl shape is a bit squatty, more pot than billiard, ( but you work with what you have and adding height is not an option :).
The bottom of the bowl drops below the bottom line of the shank, not desirable. (you have to adjust your drilling to maintain thickness on the bottom of the chamber).
The line of the stem/shank unit looks OK on the lateral views, but when viewed from above or below, the shank diverges toward the bowl slightly too sharply, breaking the continuity of the line.
DocAitch
Thank you. I can definitely see that it’s too “squatty.” Is there an optimal relationship between the bowl height and diameter? Or a rule of thumb?
With regard to lining up the bottom of the shank and bottom of the bowl, would I just need to avoid over-drilling the tobacco chamber(I definitely over-drilled the chamber), or would I need to angle the draft hole up slightly relative to the mortise?
I had not noticed the junction of the shank and the bowl, but I do see it now that you point it out. Do you think that is something that I could still fix on this pipe?

Thank you for your time and expertise!

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's custom pipes - yeah, angle the draft hole up just a hair if you can, then drill the chamber down to meet it, this is the best sure-fire way to make the connection and have lots of wood where you need it.

In terms of ideals, roughly, the mathematics of a billiard are that the bowl height measured from the shank should be the same length as the shank measured from the bowl, and probably you want the bowl in total to be something like 4 times (maybe not quite) as tall as the shank. Stem length (again ideal, you can find all kinds of variations that work) is same as stummel length.

When you start to hit these things, the pipes sell pretty fast is my experience.

Then once you have that basic formula, once it's really in your blood, you can start understanding other shapes, dublins, Canadians, whatever, as variations of that, and squash them, pull them, stretch them, whatever it is, and come out with pipes that still look "right"

If you break this Canadian down, you will see that even though the shank is long (stretched) and oval (compressed), the basic proportions come back to the billiard formula (imagine the pipe had a billiard shank, etc, and you'll see that the total length, for example, is "correct").

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LifeOfBeard

Post by LifeOfBeard »

Thank you, gentlemen. This stuff is solid gold. Luckily for me, the straight billiard just happens to be my favorite shape. On to the next one.