Little dribbles of stain in bowl interior

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
ArtGuy

Little dribbles of stain in bowl interior

Post by ArtGuy »

What is everyones feeling on little areas of stain left around the rim in the bowl interior? I usually precarb the bowl, after sanding, to make a clean, crisp presentation of the rim.

Is a little dribble of stain acceptable?

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

No.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

For the most part, I agree with Tyler.

Kurt
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Those are my thoughts as well. I cropped the image so severly so as not to let on who made the pipe.

I sure do see this sorta thing a lot though.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

You do see it a lot, John. (And I did look long and hard at the pic to see who's pipe it was. You did a good job though, I couldn't tell.)

Really, of all the details one could miss, that is minor. None the less, you aren't supposed to miss any of them! :D

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

What do you do to avoid this then? Sand it out? Just paint carfully? Use masking tape on the inside of the bowl?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Sanding it out is a good way to do it if you can without getting the bowl out of round. I pre-carb the pipe. I think the pre carb just lends a nice, clean look to the entire pipe.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

does anyone do/try anything to keep the stain out to begin with?? I was on somebody's page that had shots of him at work (an italian guy) and it showed pictures of him taking a pipe from start to finish. When he was staining, and doing a lot of other things for that matter, he had this wooden rod where he had sanded down the tip to form a point:

------------------\
-------------------\
------------------- \
--------------------/
-------------------/
-----------------/

that looks horrible, you get the point, kinda... :?

the point is that he stained the pipe jammed on this wood rod, the rod going into the tobacco chamber. I've done this twice now... haven't checked to see if there's stain in the chamber.... haven't notice any tho. (I might eat that later... :))
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I work with the pipe shoved onto a wooden rod like the entire time I am sanding. I also finish the pipe on it. Since the pipe is upside down when i apply the stain there is very little that seeps into the chamber but it still does happen a little.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Little dribbles? Bah. I seem to be getting stain on about the top 1/2" of bowl. I realize that my dowel doesn't fit tightly enough, and I was turning the pipes right-side-up to stain the rim. I guess that's bad. Should I sand this out first, or if I am going to pre-carb is it acceptable to pre-carb over it? Just looking for opinions.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

When I stain I use a tapered down wooden dowel, but I take a napkin or paper towel (something not too thick but with multiple layers) and wrap it around the end of the dowel. Put a piece of masking tape around the ends of the napkin/paper towel to tape them to the dowel. This just keeps them from hanging down on the pipe and from interferring with my staining. Then I take the dowel and stick it in the tobacco chamber snug. Kind of helps catch any stain that might try to get into the chamber.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

When staining, I use a wool dauber. I begin with the pipe turned upside down, so the saturated dauber gets most of the stain on the bottom first. I then move to the shank and the sides of the pipe. I turn the pipe over and carefully move to the sides near the top and finally the top. I am very careful around the top. By then the dauber is nearly dry and you don't get runs into the bowl.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Nick wrote:What do you do to avoid this then? …snip… Just paint carfully? snip…
Um, yes!
Paint carefully.
Don't do it having had lot's of coffee. :naughty:
Paint carefully.
Don't do it after having worked hard with your hands (a long sanding session or hard work with the files…). :naughty:
I try to do staining the rim with the imagination, that the pipe-cleaner I use (I know that's a discussable tool) is used to get some tiny insect out of my daughter’s eye. Just about that careful.
Trembling hands and too much liquid on the applying tool can spoil it. So calm down and better stain often than a lot of stain in one stroke.

I have a strong feeling that all other techniques of somewhat sealing the chamber with anything will be obsolete unless you don't paint carefully (or bottoms up…).

I just have not yet found any Idea for keeping the waxing wheel putting it's stuff into the top od the rim… :think:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Here's one solution:

I wrap 150 grit sand paper around a short section of steel rod, chuck it my drill press and sand the inside of the bowl after I have done *everything* else as far as finishing.

The bowl comes out clean as a whistle.

Rad
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Another solution:

I use a adequate cork from the last wine-tasting to seal the tobacco chamber... (O.K., in Germany we've a lot of vintager and I asked one to give me a couple of unused corks :wink: ).

If ther are anyway some dribbles of stain, I use coated abrisives with 400 or 600 grid wrapped around another cork to gently sand out the stain. I screw this cork into the tobacco chamber and it works well...

Greetings,

Heinz