Twist drill bowl bits

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Nalbonepipes

Twist drill bowl bits

Post by Nalbonepipes »

Hi all,
I joined months and months ago and just never got around to start posting questions, applying to college and graduating really took a lot of time. Anyway I’m here with a question.
I’m curious about who is using modified twist drills to drill their chambers. Where are you getting them? I’m only seeing them available from aliexpress from a brand called muxiang (I think?) and that website seems somewhat sketchy. Does anyone have experience with that site? And lastly I know that spoon bits are generally the safest bits for freehand drilling but is there anyone out there freehand drilling with these modified twist drills that I’m talking about?
Thanks for any info!
Sam
caskwith

Re: Twist drill bowl bits

Post by caskwith »

Have you got a link to the aliexpress bits? Curious to see them.

Don't freehand drill with a twist bit, you are asking for trouble.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Actually I found them. They don't look like great quality grinding. Price isn't bad though, might be worth a try.
Nalbonepipes

Post by Nalbonepipes »

Will probably just skip them and grind my own spade bits into chamber bits, really was hoping they might be suitable for freehand drilling as I only have one spoon bit made and something just doesn’t seem perfect about it. Guess I’ll need to keep trying to make it work properly
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A while back (a long while back), I posted a how-to for grinding down silver and deming (reduced shank) bits. Essentially, you put them in a lathe and grind them down with an angle grinder. Dangerous, yes. Fun, no. Effective? You bet. Once profiled you go back with a grinder and make a relief behind the cutting edge, being careful not to put divots in it. You can use a dremel, grinding wheel, whatever. I generally drill 90% of the way with a 1/2" stubby drill bit, then finish with the modified drill bit.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

KurtHuhn wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 pm A while back (a long while back), I posted a how-to for grinding down silver and deming (reduced shank) bits. Essentially, you put them in a lathe and grind them down with an angle grinder. Dangerous, yes. Fun, no. Effective? You bet. Once profiled you go back with a grinder and make a relief behind the cutting edge, being careful not to put divots in it. You can use a dremel, grinding wheel, whatever. I generally drill 90% of the way with a 1/2" stubby drill bit, then finish with the modified drill bit.
Holy crap, it's Kurt.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
RickB

Post by RickB »

I'd made one from a big S&D bit but it scrubbed and burned and stuck, largely because I suck at grinding tools and don't know what the hell I'm doing (even when given clear instructions). I've since switched to the tungsten carbide chamber bits and have no intention of going back.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

JMG wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:54 am Holy crap, it's Kurt.
Sorry I've been away so long. I'm happy to be back and making pipes again.
RickB wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 am tungsten carbide chamber bits
Do tell! Got a link?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

KurtHuhn wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:36 pm
JMG wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:54 am Holy crap, it's Kurt.
Sorry I've been away so long. I'm happy to be back and making pipes again.
Do tell! Got a link?
Good to see you back, bud. Hope life is treating you well.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
RickB

Post by RickB »

Do tell! Got a link?
https://rawkrafted.com/tools/chamber-dr ... er-drills/
All the sizes and shapes you could ever want, pretty damn inexpensive, and they cut like butter and leave a really nice smooth finish - though I've learned that using them without a pilot hole works better (at least with my process/lathe).
Shoutout to @JMG for turning me on to them.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Nalbonepipes

Post by Nalbonepipes »

RickB wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:49 am
Do tell! Got a link?
https://rawkrafted.com/tools/chamber-dr ... er-drills/
All the sizes and shapes you could ever want, pretty damn inexpensive, and they cut like butter and leave a really nice smooth finish - though I've learned that using them without a pilot hole works better (at least with my process/lathe).
Shoutout to @JMG for turning me on to them.
Now those guys look like they might be suitable for freehand work, is that true?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nalbonepipes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am Now those guys look like they might be suitable for freehand work, is that true?
For freehand drilling, you really want these:
https://rawkrafted.com/tools/chamber-dr ... poon-bits/

Multi-flute bits are unsuitable for freehand drilling (typically) because of they can grab. The spoon bits generally do not grab due to the large support area and 51% flute design.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

KurtHuhn wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 am Multi-flute bits are unsuitable for freehand drilling (typically) because of they can grab.
What a bunch of girly-men... Just do some wrist exercises and you'll be fine. :roll:

I use a fairly big lathe (pic attached) and can stop it cold with my thumb & forefinger. With a wooden block to hold I can reverse its direction.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Nalbonepipes

Post by Nalbonepipes »

Well that’s what I get for not looking at the website enough- the spoon bits are similarly well priced from rawkrafted. Has anyone tried them who can talk about their performance?
RickB

Post by RickB »

I haven't tried the spoons bits (or any of them), but I'm also still a drill-first-exclusively scrub so I haven't tried any of them. At that sale price I'm giving the set a pretty hard look though, personally.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I wonder if those fluted drills are custom made for RK or are available on the open market. Might be nice to replace some of my homemade bits.
RickB

Post by RickB »

caskwith wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:54 pm I wonder if those fluted drills are custom made for RK or are available on the open market. Might be nice to replace some of my homemade bits.
I believe Yu Xuanjie sells them through his IG as well: https://www.instagram.com/yuxuanjie7603/?hl=en
Also has some other cool stuff on there, but I have no idea what it's like to order from him.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LatakiaLover wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:17 pm What a bunch of girly-men... Just do some wrist exercises and you'll be fine. :roll:
Instructions unclear. Limp wrist stuck in lathe...
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Well I ordered a couple of the carbide bits to try out.