Muzzle loading shotgun

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Muzzle loading shotgun

Post by KurtHuhn »

I finished this one some time back:

It's based around a somewhat rare 12 gauge barrel sold by Connecticut Valley Arms, manufactured in 1987. One interesting feature is the ability to accept choke tubes - though they are a proprietary design and even more rare than the barrels. I managed to pick up a set of Full and Modified chokes in a stunningly handsome pleatherette case :lol: , and an Improved Cylinder separately. It will do shot, but it can also be a 69 caliber pumpkin-chucker - devastating at short range.

The barrel came to me somewhat beat up and missing mounting studs for the under-rib, so it's silver soldered on. I made pretty much all the hardware with the exception of the lock and buttplate. Everything that wasn't already solid nickel got plated, including the lock, and I poured a pewter nosecap. The stock is beech, which is a good, solid, straight-grained wood - figured woods would be put under too much stress in a big bore shotgun like this, and tend to fail right at the wrist or behind the lock plate.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
EpicDragon7

Re: Muzzle loading shotgun

Post by EpicDragon7 »

That is a nice shotgun. I have been wanting to get one for myself
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I see big piles of smoked turkey in your future, Kurt.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
n80

Post by n80 »

That would be so much fun to turkey hunt with. The silver metal would stand out but even blued metal shines. My dedicated turkey gun is bead blasted with a dull finish. The choke tubes are cool. Would be interesting to see how it patterns a load of #2s at 30 yards with the full choke.

I bet you have to be in shape to tote that around all day!

George
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

n80 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:55 pm I bet you have to be in shape to tote that around all day!
It's surprisingly light - the barrel might be 1" across, but 75% of the insides are missing! :lol: :lol:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:26 pm I see big piles of smoked turkey in your future, Kurt.
:thumbsup:

It's interesting - when you only have one shot, how much more carefully you line it up. It takes like 5 minutes to load this thing (not really) so you don't want to waste it.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Old n stinky

Post by Old n stinky »

Love it!