custom stamps for "signing" your work

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
achduliebe

custom stamps for "signing" your work

Post by achduliebe »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I am also new to making pipes. I actually have not started my first pipe yet. I have all of the materials, but have been doing research and reading about the process. Just get myself reasonably familiar with things before I start. My question is where can you order custom stamps for "signing" your work?

I know this is kind of a premature question, seeing how I have not yet completed my first pipe but a question I have nonetheless.

Thanks,
-Bryan
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Brian,

Welcome to the forums! Glad you're here.

Here's the place that is most often recommended for stamps. I haven't bought from him yet, but I have talked to him on the phone a time or two.

Paul Argendorf
A&M Steel Stamps
55 WINDSOR AVE
MINEOLA , NY 11501
516 471 6223

Based on what I have heard, I do not hesistate to recommend this place.

Tyler
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Tyler,

Glad to be here too.

I will look them up when I am ready to order my stamp. I appreciate the information.

Great web site, very helpful!

Thanks,
-Bryan
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've heard good things about htis place:
http://www.harpermfg.com/hm_leather.html

I have not ordered a custom stamp from anywhere though. I mark all my pipes with a set of steel letter/number stamps. However, I'm going to change that very soon. Wether I get a stamp, or move to using a dremel, I don't know. I know there are guys that use a dremel, but not many. Most folks use stamps. Does anyone know if ther are any drawbacks to using a dremel and an engraving bit?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:Does anyone know if ther are any drawbacks to using a dremel and an engraving bit?
My handwriting is a draw back :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

The drawback of a Dremel is that it usually looks like you did it with a Dremel. :D

I still do, :oops: but I have gotten pretty good at it. Tom Eltang asked me in Chicago last year how I did it. He was surprised when I told him I did it by hand. He checked it out again and shook his head. I took that to be a good thing. 8)

As for stamps, you shouldn't need to hit them with a hammer. In fact, I think that is not recommended because of the stress to the pipe. The stam should be able to leave its image with firm hand force. Heating the stamp before pressing it into the wood helps.

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I got my stamp from A&M Steel Stamps in about 6 days. It comes with a removable wooden handle so that you can put it in a drill press if you wish. Paul does a lot of stamps for pipemakers so he knows exactly what is needed.

I just told him that I wanted Crosby in script and left the size of lettering up to him. It arrived in record time and it is perfect. I have gotten good results by heating the stamp with one of those paint stripping heat guns and then just pressing firmly by hand.
Nick

Post by Nick »

What about putting the stamp in the microwave?

*wink*
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tyler wrote:As for stamps, you shouldn't need to hit them with a hammer. In fact, I think that is not recommended because of the stress to the pipe. The stam should be able to leave its image with firm hand force. Heating the stamp before pressing it into the wood helps.
Being a beefy guy helps too. I never have a problem with the letter stamps, and sometimes I get a little carried away - my "usa" ends up with little circles around the letters. :oops:

Those that have bought stamps from the places mentioned in this thread - would you mind telling us how much you paid? The beginning of the month is upon me, and I have a fresh budget from the wife. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

My stamp from A&M was 95 bucks. Of course, it was pretty simple just Crosby in script lettering. I here they usually run anywhere from 95 to 250 depending on what you want.

Paul told me that they can do just about any logo etc. I would need.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I like simple. I'm thinking about having one made with just my initials and "usa" in smaller letters inside an oval. I'm not sure yet, though. Script sounds good as well. But if I do script, I'd want my whole name. Hmmmm....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks everybody for all of the great input. I am looking forward to getting to a point (after a couple of pipes), where I can order my stamp. I must say though, I searched all over the net trying to find stamps. Everything was wood burners or generic stamp sets. I asked the question here and BAM I have all of this information from some outstanding pipe makers. I hope one day that my pipes or worthy of sitting in the shadows of the pipes of you fine individuals.

I really really appreciate the knowledge everyone of you shares.

Thanks from a newbie!
-Bryan
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

I too have talked to Paul, and he really knows his business... and a very nic efellow to boot!

I'll have mine most likley before the summer... the problem is, my wife and I are calling my shop "Rippling Brook Briar" and I feel that would be WAY too clunky on a shank, no matter how nice the design...

Looks like stamp wise, I'll be going with JRSuter in script and under it centere USA in a block type...

Less is more...