Briar Pistol Grips?

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
n80

Briar Pistol Grips?

Post by n80 »

Briar is such gorgeous wood it would make beautiful guns stocks if it wasn't so small. But it occurred to me that it could be used to make pistol grips. Has anyone seen it in that application? Is there any reason it would not work? I once made a set of walnut grips for a Colt 1911 and it was not that difficult. I suppose it would take a large chunk of briar to do grips but they would certainly look nice if done well, smooth or even sandblasted. Even checkered would look okay if you left enough of a margin to let the briar eyes or flame show through.

George
Sasquatch

Re: Briar Pistol Grips?

Post by Sasquatch »

I've seen it used for pistol grips and knife scales, works very well for both, being hard, durable, stable, everything you could ask, physically, briar excels at, and it's pretty too.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Briar Pistol Grips?

Post by KurtHuhn »

Same here - I use it for knife handles fairly regularly, and as you can imagine, it's an absolute dream in that application.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com