engelhatch

Tell us who you are.
engelhatch

engelhatch

Post by engelhatch »

Howdy everyone!

Years a pipe smoker: 8. I first smoked a pipe at 17 but only became a daily burley burner at 18 when tobacco became more readily (and legally) available.
How you got into pipe making: As I fell more deeply in love with pipe smoking- factory pipes totally lost their magic and I began drooling over expertly crafted artisan pieces. Dreaming of specific shapes and finishes, I soon realized I had too many ideas to realistically commission from other pipe makers and it would suit me to pick up some tools and make my own.
Other interesting facts: I currently work as a farm sitter, learning everything I can about livestock and saving up to realize my dreams of becoming a rancher/homesteader.
UnderShade

Re: engelhatch

Post by UnderShade »

Welcome to the forum! Good to see another Coloradan on this board!!
engelhatch

Post by engelhatch »

UnderShade wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 pm Welcome to the forum! Good to see another Coloradan on this board!!
Thank you for the warm welcome, UnderShade. :) I saw your introductory post! I'm a little farther east than you, in the Limon area. I'm hoping to glean every bit of information I can from this forum, there are a lot of talented individuals here.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Some of the best pipe makers in the world (IMO) are members here. A word of advice- research the threads and stickies on this site and a lot of questions will be answered before you have to even ask. Folks don’t mind at all to help, but most topics have been addressed due to the fact that this forum has been around nearly 2 decades. Again, welcome to the forum!!
engelhatch

Post by engelhatch »

UnderShade wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am Some of the best pipe makers in the world (IMO) are members here. A word of advice- research the threads and stickies on this site and a lot of questions will be answered before you have to even ask. Folks don’t mind at all to help, but most topics have been addressed due to the fact that this forum has been around nearly 2 decades. Again, welcome to the forum!!
I absolutely agree with you- there are world-class artisans on this forum and their contributions are invaluable to those of us just starting out.

Thank you for the words of advice. I read through a few of the stickies and the "Open Letter to New Pipe Makers", so I understand the need to cut back on creating superfluous threads on beat-to-death topics. Mainly I'll be doing a lot of lurking with the odd request for critique once I have anything worth posting. Speaking of worthy posts- I recently saw the pipes you've been creating. The acorn especially impressed me and I look forward to seeing your work going forward.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Thanks! Like you, I’m just starting out, so there’s plenty of room for learning and improving.