Referral for custom Frazing

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
linearone

Referral for custom Frazing

Post by linearone »

Anyone have a referral to a fraizer they like? I have a 100 bowl project and need a company that can handle such a small order and still produce a custom shape..
oklahoma red

Re: Referral for custom Frazing

Post by oklahoma red »

Perhaps Briar Works in Tennessee.
LatakiaLover

Re: Referral for custom Frazing

Post by LatakiaLover »

All projects of that type and size in the past 20 years or so (that I'm aware of), were done in Italy by a group/team of hand-workers. The Pease / Di Piazza collaborations are a good example.

Old-school "hardware store key cutter" style frazing machines that mechanically track a 3-D pattern are effectively extinct, salvaged from closed factories and melted for scrap decades ago. Tim West has one in his basement, but as far as I know he hasn't used it in 30 years.

Briar Works has some CNC gear that they use as de facto frazing machines, but I have no idea if they do small batch custom jobs. The programming required takes time and expertise, so recouping that PLUS the "lost opportunity" cost of not producing their own stuff would---I'm guessing---make hiring them too expensive for a 100 bowl project to be profitable for an outsider. Worth a call, though. Ask for Pete or Sam: (931) 223-8985
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.