Feeling like an idiot-“blow it out”

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DocAitch

Feeling like an idiot-“blow it out”

Post by DocAitch »

I have been working on a slot cutter for shits’N’giggles and have the jig all measured up to fit a particular rotary tool that has been sitting in the shop unused for a couple of years. After making all the measurements and drawing up the plans, it dawned on me that I should plug in the device and see if it still ran.
I was upset with myself when the thing didn’t make any effort to run. My initial thought was to think about where I would get another device and how I would have to change things after I got the tool and measured it when I recalled a conversation that I had with a helpful guy at Little Machine Shop when my original lathe stopped running.
“Instead of replacing the motor”he said, “why don’t you blow it out? (With compressed air)” Lo and behold, that was all that was required to get the lathe running again.
With that in mind, I removed the brushes on the recalcitrant rotary tool, blew it out and it also worked.
I then pulled out another more expensive rotary tool that had stopped and which had been replaced, removed the brushes, blew it out, and again it ran.
Now I feel like an idiot (but a somewhat pleased one, since I now have 2 working tools where previously they were just junk in a box)
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Re: Feeling like an idiot-“blow it out”

Post by LatakiaLover »

Along the same lines: if you have a lighter that develops a slow leak and won't hold butane, don't throw it away or send away for a fix until you try filling it normally... while twisting/turning the can DURING the fill while the valve spring is compressed.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Or in my case - replace the start capacitor. I had three motors go south the exact same way at nearly the same time. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
n80

Post by n80 »

There is a product call DeoxIt D5 that works wonders on virtually any non-functioning electrical contacts. It is a spray and costs about $15 for a small can. Resurrected a 'dead' stereo I had since high school.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That stuff is incredible - I brought back an old Sanyo radio that predates me with DeOxit.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
cpd2186

Post by cpd2186 »

Doc, These are the nuggets that keep us going!

Thanks for the information!