Repair of pipe with clay(?) insert?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
n80

Repair of pipe with clay(?) insert?

Post by n80 »

My first pipe was a basket pipe, although now it seems like it is better than a typical basket pipe. I believe it was a GBD. A bent billiard. Cost about $45 out of the basket back in the early 1990's.

I still have it but there are three problems with it.

#1. It is a briar pipe but it has some sort of insert. Looks like pottery material or ceramic of some sort. After 25 years it has cracked and parts of it have fallen out from the bottom of the bowl.

Is there any way to fix this? Is so, does all of the insert have to be removed or can it be patched? With what?

#2. There is a brass ring at the end of the shank. It has four holes of different sizes. I assume these were to adjust the draw through the filter (it is a filtered pipe). That ring no longer turns and is seized in place. It probably makes no difference since I don't use filters but I'd like to free it up but have no idea how.

#3. Stem is loose. I can probably fix this myself or make another stem.

Thanks for any tips on how to restore this old pipe even though its only real value is sentimental.

George

Edit: Pipe is a Lindstrom so not so nice after all. Sounds like the insert is meerschaum. Same questions apply.
n80

Re: Repair of pipe with clay(?) insert?

Post by n80 »

I think I will try to repair the bowl insert with plaster of Paris.
n80

Re: Repair of pipe with clay(?) insert?

Post by n80 »

Repaired bowl with plaster of Paris. Seems to have worked well. Will have to see if it holds up to a few smokings.