ER32 Collets

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

ER32 Collets

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've been using a Beall collet chuck for years now, and have recommended them to folks asking how to best hold rod stock in their lathe. Thing with collet chucks is that there is practically zero runout, and the hold is ridiculously secure - I greatly prefer them to 3 or 4 jaw chucks because of the innate accuracy. Some 3 jaw chucks are "acceptable" in the price range of the Beall, but there's always more runout than many folks want to deal with. The other advantage is repeatability - if you move the rod stock in a collet chuck, it's far more likely you'll end up dead nuts when you tighten it down again.

Recently I found a seller on eBay selling oversized ER32 collets, and it has been a serious game changer. Most of you know that vulcanite rod stock comes in a slew of sizes, but you can only hold anything up to 3/4" in standard ER32 collets. The oversized collets come in sizes up to 1-1/32" (26mm), and should cover the vast majority of rod stock you'll be using.

If you have a Beall collet chuck, definitely give these a look.

Link to Beall chuck:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turni ... tchuck.php

Link to eBay seller (no affiliation):
https://www.ebay.com/sch/blacoun/m.html ... 7675.l2562

Pic for attention:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
UnderShade

Re: ER32 Collets

Post by UnderShade »

The beall collet chuck was one of the best additions to my shop. Thanks for the recommendation Kurt!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

It's a shame those collets weren't around when I set up my collet chuck. I ended up going for ER40 as at the time 19mm was the biggest I could get and my main rod stock comes in at just under 21mm.

In the long run I suppose the ER40 has been better, I have capacity up to 30mm which I do make use of quite often, but ER32 would have cost a fraction to buy and I would have been able to get a ready made chuck rather than building up my own from parts.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I’ve thought about getting a collet chuck many times. Thanks for sharing the link to this one with recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I set up my DP with a collet chuck. They're magic. Couldn't do what I do without it.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.