What shall I do with this sand pit-hole? Admin, please move to appropriate thread. I am new to this forum, forgive my

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

Re: What shall I do with this sand pit-hole? Admin, please move to appropriate thread. I am new to this forum, forgive

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, you could drill it out and plug it with briar, but really, that's just bad luck and probably you start again on a new piece.

Did we mention pipemaking sucks?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
caskwith

Re: What shall I do with this sand pit-hole? Admin, please move to appropriate thread. I am new to this forum, forgive

Post by caskwith »

Is the pipe for selling or keeping?

If selling then scrap it.

If keeping then drill, plug and rusticate it.
davidpiepkorn1

Post by davidpiepkorn1 »

Keeping. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
n80

Post by n80 »

Sasquatch wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 am Did we mention pipemaking sucks?
A special form of masochism it seems..........
Adui

Post by Adui »

So now I have a question... How does one drill out something like this and plug it? are we just drilling it as deep as needed and using a plug cutter of appropriate size on some scrap briar?
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
davidpiepkorn1

Post by davidpiepkorn1 »

Sasquatch wrote:Well, you could drill it out and plug it with briar, but really, that's just bad luck and probably you start again on a new piece.

Did we mention pipemaking sucks?
I do it as a meditation exercise, no pressure = no sucky.

davidpiepkorn1

Post by davidpiepkorn1 »

Full-on super glue.   Functionality and form matter more to me than purity.
Full-on super glue. Functionality and form matter more to me than purity.
C07B2A9A-52E7-4530-9C4F-C93E67A48766.jpeg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
davidpiepkorn1

What shall I do with this sand pit-hole? Admin, please move to appropriate thread. I am new to this forum, forgive my

Post by davidpiepkorn1 »

davidpiepkorn1 wrote:
C07B2A9A-52E7-4530-9C4F-C93E67A48766.jpeg
Full-on super glue. Functionality and form trump purity (at this point in my experience level).

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Adui wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:36 pm So now I have a question... How does one drill out something like this and plug it? are we just drilling it as deep as needed and using a plug cutter of appropriate size on some scrap briar?
I have no experience with plug cutters, but that's certainly one way to do it. Personally I would use one of my lathes to make the plug, but you could also chuck a dowel of maple, cherry, walnut, etc (don't use red oak or any soft woods) in a drill and sand it down against a wheel or belt sander to get it down to the right size. Walter Sorrels did a video on that process recently, sanding down some washers, but it's the same idea.

Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Turn a briar dowel either on a lathe or in a drill as Kurt says.
davidpiepkorn1

Post by davidpiepkorn1 »

davidpiepkorn1 wrote:
davidpiepkorn1 wrote:
C07B2A9A-52E7-4530-9C4F-C93E67A48766.jpeg
Full-on super glue. Functionality and form trump purity (at this point in my experience level).

Well that’s a fail (full-on superglue attempt). Tossing that project altogether and beginning new with that experience under my belt.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

We all have a bucket full of that kinda shit. Shrug, move on. It's when you wreck a really nice piece of wood yourself that you really can get in a proper tizzy!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!