Sandpits in the chamber

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
miscoipipes

Sandpits in the chamber

Post by miscoipipes »

It's driving me crazy! Two blocks in a row today had tiny sandpits in the chamber. One block is grade 1 Manno, the second one is grade 2 Mimmo. I tried to re-drill one chamber with a wider brill bit hoping to remove a sandpit. The bit was shaking at first (I fed it too fast) and now I have an oversized chamber with the same sandpit and a couple of bandages on my hand (lesson learned). My bin with rejects getting bigger every day and I have enough shop pipes already.
What do you usually do with those blocks and how often do you have this situation?

Attachments
1.jpg
(89.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.jpg
(139.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
caskwith

Re: Sandpits in the chamber

Post by caskwith »

The pit in the first picture would need investigating, the spots in the second picture look like nothing to worry about. If you reject a pipe based on a few black spots in the chamber you will never make a saleable pipe.
miscoipipes

Re: Sandpits in the chamber

Post by miscoipipes »

caskwith wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 am The pit in the first picture would need investigating, the spots in the second picture look like nothing to worry about. If you reject a pipe based on a few black spots in the chamber you will never make a saleable pipe.
I knew I'm too nit-picking!!! So I will finish the second one and now I will be less picky about such imperfections.
Thanks a lot, Chris!