Briar Grading

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

Briar Grading

Post by Sasquatch »

Always good to show rather than talk. I cleaned up a pile of blocks and took some pics.

Here's two M type ebauchons, long. Similar enough cuts, except one is Primo grade at best, which is to say it's pretty poor, and one is XX for real.

In both shots, the one on the right shows strong, even, tight grain, well oriented. It's clean, nearly flawless, should make a hella nice pipe. The left block is... practice grade? No grain, lotsa pits, a piss poor piece of wood for most purposes. And probably cost 10 times less than the nice block (a 30 dollar piece and a 3 dollar piece).

Looking at plateaus, an experienced cutter or maker can grade these just from the skin:

Rolling lumpy skin on the left, moving to super tight pins on the right. And the reveal is just what you'd expect... washy rolling grain vs tight, well oriented grain.

Front face, these are all cut decently, the X grade block on the left is a little crooked, but both XX blocks look really nice, the middle one very vertical in grain, the right having a nice fan outward, will make a nice brandy or a dublin maybe?

And again, these blocks range from about 15 bucks to about 35, and should produce pipes accordingly - probably a sandblast or rustic out of the X grade, and that XX and the XX "select" if you will should both produce stripey smooths.

All the mills grade slightly different, but Primo, X, and XX are your main choices, from low to high, and there's usually a sort of "ultra" grade around too, which honestly it's fun to have around sometimes, but you can get smashing pipes out of most XX briar, it's seldom really needed to have these super amazing 50 dollar blocks around.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Adui

Re: Briar Grading

Post by Adui »

Good information thank you. How do I convert this to the VF grading? He uses grade 1 through 3. (Well actually I only ever see grades 2 ans 3)
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Mimmo uses 1 through 3 and Steve sort of carries that along. #1 is select grade XX #2 is really good, better than most X grade plateau for cut and grade, it's totally good wood, many super nice pipes you can get from #2. #3 is usually blast grade, wider ring spacing poorer grain, more like X grade, but specifically in Mimmo's case #3 is really put aside having been assessed as being a good candidate for blasting, physically.
Adui

Post by Adui »

Awesome. So the grade 2 blocks I get are good
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, I mean, I've had #1 be junk and just... thrown them out. And I got this from a 2:

So in my opinion, 2 is well good enough for ... almost everything.
n80

Post by n80 »

Thanks Sasquatch. Good info, especially how to look at an uncut plateau. I've had mixed experiences with a number of the typical sources. I chalk it up to that just being the nature of briar. Box of chocolates sort of thing. And also when you're buying unseen, in small quantities, it is even more of a game of chance.

Cheap blocks are great for beginners with no intention of selling a high end pipe. Saves money. Good practice. And a few of those have surprised me in terms of how good the wood turned out. The real crap shoot seems to be the higher end blocks. I've been disappointed a few times not only at what I found inside but even from the outside blocks that are so notched and irregularly cut that it is hard to find a pipe in there.

What would be best, of course, would to be able to see what I'm buying. Outside of a large pipe show I'm not sure how that is even possible.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Some cutters are better than others, some years the wood seems better than others, but really, the issue is probably that you are buying only a few blocks, and hoping for specific stuff - if you buy 50 blocks and 10 have saw cuts or a flaw chased out... who cares, you use them for a billiard or something. But if you buy six blocks, suddenly you are very limited if 2 or 3 aren't easy to use.

You can see actual blocks if you buy from Molina on eBay, they have sets of 5, 7, 12, 20. But mostly what I do is send a cutter my cash and hope for the best!
n80

Post by n80 »

So far I have not bought from a cutter....I don't think. I've been buying from the well known guys who sell tools, briar, stem material, etc. And its not that I'm unhappy with any of them, its just like you say, a low volume thing.

I'll check out Molina.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Become a repairman and all these briar worries will just disappear.

Lost in time, like tears in rain.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's right, you just get all kinds of horrible crummy gummy shit in your mailbox instead! Bleerg!
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I’ve only bought Makis plateaux and have been pretty happy with the quality. The price is a little lower than Mimmo, but has gone up from $15 to $20 for a large block. Great pics Sas!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Makis's stuff is great, Mimmo's stuff is great, Manno's stuff is great. High value across the board. For a little more, the wood from Calabria Pipe is stupid good. I've also had plenty of excellent wood from Jaume over the years.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Sasquatch wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:52 pm Makis's stuff is great, Mimmo's stuff is great, Manno's stuff is great. High value across the board. For a little more, the wood from Calabria Pipe is stupid good. I've also had plenty of excellent wood from Jaume over the years.
I was able to visit the Jaume shop a few years back. The coolest experience, just lovely people, they took my family in, fed us, showed us around, it was amazing. I've heard they shut down, though. Can anyone confirm this?
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

They shut down, and then a year or two later, I got an email from Josefinasomethingorother saying that they had taken over and were selling briar again. So I placed an order, and it did indeed seem to be Jaume on the other end after all, certainly he remembered me, and the briar looked really good, better than before maybe - generous cuts, accurate grading. And a REAL wppo grade phyto-certificate, not just the usual "Hey we boiled this, itsa very clean" kinda thing you get from Mimmo or Makis.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Briarblocks.cat is the website.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The two plateaus on the left are mediums from briarblocks, the super block is basically what Carlo sends from Calabria.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Sasquatch wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:48 pm They shut down, and then a year or two later, I got an email from Josefinasomethingorother saying that they had taken over and were selling briar again. So I placed an order, and it did indeed seem to be Jaume on the other end after all, certainly he remembered me, and the briar looked really good, better than before maybe - generous cuts, accurate grading. And a REAL wppo grade phyto-certificate, not just the usual "Hey we boiled this, itsa very clean" kinda thing you get from Mimmo or Makis.
This is great news! I brought home a suitcase full when I visited them, and I may have a piece or two left. Their blocks are really really great. Sooooo,
I'll have to order some.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I'm tellin' ya... just get some pressure treated 6x6 fence posts, cut 'em into blocks, and no one will be the wiser. Problem solved. :roll:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Masonrygh

Post by Masonrygh »

Sas that no. 2 pipe is absolutely gorgeous.
“Tools don’t make pipes” -SandahlPipe
“Every Pipe is a Billiard” -SandahlPipe
"Plan your work, work your plan" -Walt Cannoy