Rhodesian or Dublin? RhoDublin?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
n80

Rhodesian or Dublin? RhoDublin?

Post by n80 »

This is a pipe I copied from a well known pipe maker. It is labeled as a Dublin but seems Rhodesianesque to me. Thoughts on that?

Looking for critique.

There were a number of small pits scattered about and one large one on the shank. I suppose I could have rusticated it but the grain was so nice I decided not to.

Hope pics show up this time.

LatakiaLover

Re: Rhodesian or Dublin? RhoDublin?

Post by LatakiaLover »

Pix, she not vorking...
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
n80

Post by n80 »

Damn. I don’t know what’s wrong. Will try again tomorrow linking from a different site.
Adui

Post by Adui »

I see them just fine
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

One more try:

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's an attractive pipe - I'd like to see less "chin" on the bottom line, and a little more curve up toward the bowl (a curve in the shank I guess is what I'm trying to say).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
n80

Post by n80 »

Sasquatch wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 am That's an attractive pipe - I'd like to see less "chin" on the bottom line, and a little more curve up toward the bowl (a curve in the shank I guess is what I'm trying to say).
Thanks Sas. Agree about the chin area. It is fairly pronounced on the original I copied and it was a feature I meant to lessen a little but failed to do so. The original is also a little more sinew-y and the shank and stem are thinner and more elegant. That part I wanted to capture and didn't quite.

A technique I discovered, or remembered form somewhere, that helped this pipe was heating the pipe slightly after the last application of carnuba and lightly polishing with a very soft cloth. This not only got rid of any wax streaks that I had missed but also brought the shine up a notch. Not sure if it is a legit technique or not.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I have very stiff opinions about wax and what it's for and how to use it, and they're probably wrong, so I won't comment on that!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!