TheGingerPiper Pipe No. 3 WIP

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
thegingerpiper

TheGingerPiper Pipe No. 3 WIP

Post by thegingerpiper »

So I wanted to try a pipe inspired by Von Erck, lol this hardly does it justice, but just so you know where I began.

Started with a "V" shape on the block but smoothed the bowl exterior on a whim while shaping. Wasn't happy with the basic 'freehand' shape and cut the bottom to make it sit. Not sure how I feel about it now. The stem is ebonite and I will spend ALOT of time shaping to get this stem better than my others. Also got a smaller dremel cutting wheel to give me more control when cutting my slot.

Please lmk your thoughts and suggestions for this WIP, lol hopefully they aren't "SCRAP IT!"

Thank you,

TGP
Attachments
Annotation 2020-07-22 101124.png
(600.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sir_Saartan

Re: TheGingerPiper Pipe No. 3 WIP

Post by Sir_Saartan »

I'm only a hobby pipe maker getting started, so I'm not really qualified to comment on your pipe.

I will say this though:
to be able to comment on your pipe, it is necessary to clearly know what you were trying to
achieve. Therefore, everyone around here will suggest you start making standard shapes,
where people can point out exactly what part of the pipe doesn't look the way it was supposed to.

The I've made only 3 actual pipes from scrap, and all of them are abominations that should
have become a billiard. That being said: people can clearly identify what it is that I did well
and what I messed up. They can point those out to me, I can identify and correct them.

I know it gets old after reading this in every new pipe makers first couple of threads, but it really
is the only way to be able to compare "is" to "should be".

Also: on the fly changing the general idea you had when starting a pipe usually leads to
bad results. you will have a hard enough time compensating for flaws in the wood while
trying to stick to your plan. Changing the whole thing when half the shaping is done will
lead to kind of a "frankenpipe": it's got parts of different pipes in it, but when you look
at it in the end it usually doesn't look like they were supposed to be together.

That's not me saying your pipe is one of those. I am not qualified to comment on your work,
and once I post my pipes you'll know why. But trying to improve means to have a plan
and trying your best to stick to that plan.
The Tan Saarlander
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

That is some solid feedback. I have already received that from a buddy on Instagram and my next pipe will definitely either be a billiard or a poker. Also very true about changing my idea halfway through. Looking forward to checking out your pipes and thank you for the feedback.
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

thegingerpiper wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:13 am That is some solid feedback. I have already received that from a buddy on Instagram and my next pipe will definitely either be a billiard or a poker. Also very true about changing my idea halfway through. Looking forward to checking out your pipes and thank you for the feedback.
great I can be of help.

regarding my pipes: you're gonna regrett saying you'd like to see my pipes.
There some things I'm already getting better at, but the last pipe I made,
I was able to identify more than 10 major flaws within just a couple of minutes.

most of them cannot be corrected, some could but with major risk of ruining
the perfectly smokable pipe. I used that pipe to try things, and at least those points
I was focussing on worked really well. So it was a step forward, but that's the best I can
say about it.
The Tan Saarlander
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Sir_Saartan,

That's ok though amigo, at least you learned 10 things to look out for the next time. I'd see like to see where you are at, everyone is out to help so at the very least you'll grow.
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

thegingerpiper wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am Sir_Saartan,

That's ok though amigo, at least you learned 10 things to look out for the next time. I'd see like to see where you are at, everyone is out to help so at the very least you'll grow.
I just posted them for you.
The Tan Saarlander