August goal... 15 stems in 31 days

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Blackbeltpipes

August goal... 15 stems in 31 days

Post by Blackbeltpipes »

So I decided that I’m going to focus on stems in the month of August... my plan is to do 15 stems in 31 Image
days. My hope is to improve my skills by focusing intently on the stems and to develop my “style for cutting them. I know what I like and what I think is aesthetically pleasing, but I want to perfect it... I’ve ordered 20 perturned stummels so that I can avoid much of that half of the builds and focus on stem work. The picture is a stem that I just finished, so I’m hoping this serves as a benchmark to the 15th stem and if I’ve showed any improvement. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JMG

Re: August goal... 15 stems in 31 days

Post by JMG »

Have fun with that.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Hmmm... interesting idea. However, I wouldn’t get hung up on how many you can make in a given amount of days. Instead, I would focus on the different aspects of stem cutting and perfecting them. Your tools will dictate your speed. For instance, are you working with a metal lathe or just a tenon cutter, files and a drill press? What’s your buffing setup like?
In my opinion, getting your drilling and shaping down is the first place to start. Then on to slot cutting/shaping and button work. Lastly, (and critically) finish sanding, bite- zone finalization and crease polishing. Focusing on those basics will (imho) lead to consistent results you’ll be happy with. Good luck!
Blackbeltpipes

Post by Blackbeltpipes »

UnderShade wrote:Hmmm... interesting idea. However, I wouldn’t get hung up on how many you can make in a given amount of days. Instead, I would focus on the different aspects of stem cutting and perfecting them. Your tools will dictate your speed. For instance, are you working with a metal lathe or just a tenon cutter, files and a drill press? What’s your buffing setup like?
In my opinion, getting your drilling and shaping down is the first place to start. Then on to slot cutting/shaping and button work. Lastly, (and critically) finish sanding, bite- zone finalization and crease polishing. Focusing on those basics will (imho) lead to consistent results you’ll be happy with. Good luck!
Thanks Undershade... I agree with your opinion and it’s less of speed and more of repetition. I think one every two days is a fair time period to take my time and focus on each area. I didn’t think of bite zone so thanks for that! I have a metal lathe, slot cutter, wood lathe and sanding belt so I can be pretty productive... I want to perfect my idea of the ideal button and hone my slotting skills. Length and balance are something I want to get better at as well. Sometimes I make and see pipes with stems too thin, too short, too long and some too thick and forcing myself to do a large quantity will hopefully give me a sharper eye for why that’s so and how to balance the whole piece. I’m goal driven so I needed to set a goal and parameters so this is what it needs to be to force myself to grow... I’ll be sure to report back on my experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk