Fish in batter.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Odissey

Fish in batter.

Post by Odissey »

Hello!
I'm on vacation now. The first week I was vacationing in the north of Russia in Karelia. It's almost impossible to catch fish of this size near Moscow. I have to travel 1000 km north. As you can see, there is a reason. This pike has almost 8 kg of weight.

The forest is full of berries and mushrooms, the river in which you can catch quite large fish. What else do you need to be happy?

Before the vacation, I cut out another pipe - this is my 32nd pipe. But it was impossible to show it to you from Karelia. The Internet was rather slow here and it was impossible to download something from the cloud. Now I am in the south of Russia and they are waiting for me for two weeks by the warm sea
The internet is a little better here. I can already show you something

See this is also a fish. It is made a little in the style of Uwe Maier, but here I cannot do anything, otherwise it is impossible to sew the fish.

Best regards, Odissey
UnderShade

Re: Fish in batter.

Post by UnderShade »

I instantly thought of Uwe- well done.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Thanks UnderShade.

This fish was pretty hard to work with. Finishing alone took 25 hours. All in all, this tube took over 120-130 hours.
Guys, sorry, I remember that I promised to tell you how I make the stem, and specifically the flat slit in it, up to 45 mm deep in it. Photos are all ready. But this is not possible now. In order for everything to be clear, I will need 3-4 hours to work with a translator. Now there is simply no free time for this.
Our country is large, the last time I visited this region of Russia was more than 40 years ago. I was then only 16 years old. Therefore, you need to visit all the memorable places of that trip and see everything that I saw then.
My wife has her own memories of these places. And she, too, will not refuse the desire to see what she wants to see.
In recent years, we mainly went to Italy on vacation. But now you can't go anywhere with this coronavirus. And we are happy to get to know our own country.

I already miss my work terribly, on new pipes.

Best regards, Odissey
n80

Post by n80 »

Just got through reading Turgenev's 'A Sportsman's Notebook'. Would love to see the Russia he describes.

Great pipe too. So intricate.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

n80 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 pm Just got through reading Turgenev's 'A Sportsman's Notebook'. Would love to see the Russia he describes.

I am afraid that the Russia that Turgenev described is no longer there. Or rather, not so, in order to see that Russia, now you need to go to the outback. Look here
https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/fishing.419/page-15

I posted some photos there. I am on this forum the same Odissey, it will be easy to find me there.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

n80 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 pm Just got through reading Turgenev's 'A Sportsman's Notebook'. Would love to see the Russia he describes.

The translator works very strangely. Turgenev has a series of stories, which he combined into one book. Turgenev called this book "Notes of a Hunter". As far as I know, he has never written such a book as The Sportsman's Notebook.