Fish in scales.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Odissey

Fish in scales.

Post by Odissey »

Good Morning Gentlemen!

Today I will show you my fresh work. We try not to say the word "last". Bad sign. The smoking pipe may indeed be the last.
Her story began with this lighter, bought on the road at a gas station.

I have been using this lighter for two or three weeks, and then one day I looked at it and suddenly, I saw that it had a pattern that looked like a small silver fish.
I am constantly pursued by the desire to marry a tree with metal, and therefore what I saw could not leave me indifferent.
Of course, what happened cannot be considered the final version. The pipe needs additional work to shape and polish the stem. But it can already be shown. And the pattern applied to the smoking pipe is just the first trial attempt to create a combination of wood and metal in a similar style. Here you need to select the diameter of the cupronickel wire and the distance between the wires, in order to obtain the effect of a silvery surface. At the initial stage of processing the smoking pipe, everything was as it should be. Silver merged in the eyes and gave an amazingly beautiful silver color. Each individual wire was not visible, they all merged in the eyes and gave a "silvery mist". It was an amazing sight. But as the wires were polished, their surfaces became more and more straight. The degree of reflection of light from them grew. Sharp contours of each wire appeared and the magic fog melted away.
Working with metal is very time consuming. For the drawing, 240 pieces of wires were needed. Each one needs to be cut off, a hole drilled for it, insert the wire into this hole and fix it in the hole with glue. This is a full three days of work. During this time, you can make another pipe.
Wire pattern on one side of the pipe only. On the other side of the pipe, briar has very good grain. It would be nice if this briar block was 45mm wide. In fact, it was only 40 mm. Therefore, the fish is a little lacking in volume.
These are photographs, there are quite a few of them. Please see what I have done. I look forward to your comments. How do you like metal and wood? Can they be together?

Best regards, Odissey
N. Masteller

Re: Fish in scales.

Post by N. Masteller »

Nicely done IMO. A functional piece of fine art. Very cool.
N. Masteller
Odissey

Re: Fish in scales.

Post by Odissey »

N. Masteller wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:29 pm Nicely done IMO. A functional piece of fine art. Very cool.
To my great regret, this is not yet very similar to a work of art. The metal looks like a completely foreign body. Is it beautiful? Maybe yes, but maybe not. This pipe was sold like this.

I removed the fin. Without it, the pipe looks almost like an ordinary classic. Unfortunately, metal cannot be removed. Overall, I am not very happy with this work.