Lainatan

Tell us who you are.
Lainatan

Lainatan

Post by Lainatan »

Years a pipe smoker: Barely 1 to be honest

How you got into pipe making: Only a little while ago, I decided cigars wasn't the way to go and I would try a bit of pipe smoking when those around me lit up the stogies. I quite enjoyed the experience and as I was sitting down enjoying some time with my MM Country Gentleman and some Lane 1-Q, when the thought came to me. I conversed with my brother about it and he asked me if he could send me something in the mail he was working on. He had made his own corn cob churchwarden with a bamboo stem. I watched many videos on YouTube and thought, "Huh, I could do that." Of course I was a bit naïve of the whole process but I was undaunted. I know the limits of my knowledge and skill, so instead of trying to get a blank block and start completely from scratch, I bought a pre-drilled hobby block of P&C, a whittling kit, and just wanted to get creative with it. I wanted to make something that combined another "hobby" of mine, beer. I'd been a homebrewer until about 2 years ago when time wasn't no longer on my side. So I settled on the sitter tankard as the style I wanted to make it look like a 'ye olde tavern tankard'. I'll post a picture in the appropriate thread. Fact is, I'm hooked now. I'm not to the point I want to start buying a lathe and drilling my own holes. I just like the thought of creating something fun and neat to look at, well and smoke.

Other interesting facts: Spent almost 13 years in the Air Force as a cop (Security Forces), I've got 5 kids and my wife and I would like to have at least one more, I'm, as I mentioned, really into beer not just from the alcohol stand point but from the creative aspects of building one from scratch and understanding the story behind many styles of beer, I've been fishing my whole life it seems and got into fly fishing in my late teens, in much the same fashion as pipe making I started tying my own flies with some good success, I'm also a hunter just not a great one though I will be able to work a bit on that craft a bit more in the future, I welcome criticisms on anything I say and do because without mistakes one cannot get better. Thanks for letting me join your community!
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we'll catch excellence." --Vince Lombardi
UnderShade

Re: Lainatan

Post by UnderShade »

Welcome, Nate!