Billiard #1

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ReverendThom

Billiard #1

Post by ReverendThom »

Getting on the "make a billion billiards" train. Here's the first go ... Not quite a billiard?

Don't worry, I'll Sand the chamber out. I keep getting dye in there when I'm certain I'm careful

I also cracked the button but wanted to finish as is.

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UnderShade

Re: Billiard #1

Post by UnderShade »

It looks like you're on the right track. Looks kinda like the bowl is a bit short and the stummel overall is a little chunky. One of the things I struggled with when I first started was knowing when to remove more material. This got easier the more I made billiards.The transition from shank to bowl is a little abrupt IMO. Some like that, some don't. I would have smoothed that transition out a little more. Looks like the inner and outer edges of your bowl's rim/chamber lost some stain- next time, try using less pressure when buffing. Sorry about the button. How did you manage to crack it? Over all, not a bad first attempt at the billiard. Keep it up!
ReverendThom

Post by ReverendThom »

Thank you.

The button was an unfortunate meeting with my tailstock haha
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Look what happens if you tighten up the lines of the bowl a bit:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

And then if I shorten the shank, and then necessarily also shorten the stem, suddenly it's a billiard. Shank could be a hair thinner too I suppose.

This is the "smaller pipe" that Tyler mentioned on facebook. It's in there.

Anyway good job, you're on the right track.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ReverendThom

Post by ReverendThom »

Sasquatch wrote:And then if I shorten the shank, and then necessarily also shorten the stem, suddenly it's a billiard. Shank could be a hair thinner too I suppose.

This is the "smaller pipe" that Tyler mentioned on facebook. It's in there.

Anyway good job, you're on the right track.
Ah thanks! That's really helpful to see like that