First foray into pipemaking.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lizbet_Di'Battori

Post by Lizbet_Di'Battori »

20210113_094148.jpg
(137.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20210113_094619.jpg
(133.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Be polite, please, I know its ugly. I have been a pipe smoker for 10+ years and I have always wanted to make my own pipe. I have had the block of wood knocking around for a few months, but was dragging my heels on actually turning it into a pipe. Then one day, my corncob fell apart and I needed a new pipe, so I drilled out my block of wood to fit the stem off my corncob, packed it with tobacco and had a smoke. Then I grabbed my pocket knife and started whittling it down. I didn't have any of the tools that I needed to properly shape it, just a couple knives and some sandpaper. A couple weeks later and it had a decent shape, so I used some old leather dye and linseed oil to make it look a little bit prettier and called it good. I learned a fair amount, such as, curly maple is a beautiful piece of wood, but the grain in it is not conducive to knife carving. I also learned that there is a very good reason you don't often hear about people carving out a pipe with a pocket knife, it takes forever and is a lot of work. I am going to try using files and rasps next, since I live in a 1br apartment and don't really have facilities for power tools. So for right now, I have a very ugly, very functional pipe.
Lizbet Di Battori
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." Albert Einstein.
UnderShade

Re: First foray into pipemaking.

Post by UnderShade »

Hey man, ya gotta start somewhere. I wouldn't suggest using hardwoods, as they tend to burn. Go to Vermont Freehand or Rawkrafted and get a pre-drilled kit and use rasps and files on that. Also, search this forum extensively to find the best advice on materials, shaping and finishing. You'll be glad you did! Keep making pipes!!!
amnell

Post by amnell »

I can’t even imagine hand carving a whole pipe from briar using only a knife. My hands hurt just by the regular filing and sanding :D

Being quite the beginner at pipe making my best tip is to remove more material than you think. A bit scary, yes, but as long as you’re not thinning the walls too much or carving down to the draft hole you’ll probably get something that looks more like a pipe.

Keep it up [emoji106]
Lizbet_Di'Battori

Post by Lizbet_Di'Battori »

Amnell, the main reason that I left it so clunky is because I just flat out got tired of carving. I have blisters all down the side of my finger from the back of my knife, and callouses in places that shouldn't be possible. I've considered reshaping it once I get some better tools, but I think I am going to leave it as is, just to show that can accomplish something on sheer stubbornness. It may not be pretty, but it works.
Lizbet Di Battori
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." Albert Einstein.
ReverendThom

Post by ReverendThom »

Lizbet_Di'Battori wrote: It may not be pretty, but it works.
This is how I describe all my pipes :)

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

JMG

Post by JMG »

If I could only have one cheap tool in which to rough shape a pipe, I believe it would be a rasp. So, I suggest getting a rasp. And reading this forum. Good job taking the plunge.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Sandpaper of various grain sizes from 80 to 1000 is the best tool for the beginner pipe cutter. The paper can be glued with double-sided tape to a metal plate and get a universal tool for cutting pipes. I myself started with this.
BriarJoe

Post by BriarJoe »

I agree with JMG completely about the rasp... as a beginner and not having a lathe it's pretty much all I use besides a band saw for shaping. I use one of the Auriou rasps, which while being pricy cut beautifully and have a nice large surface area, but any sharp rasp should work. Untill then sandpaper is a necessary substitute.

Keep it up!
Joe
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I started out using a die grinder- like a large Dremel rotary tool using 1/4” diameter tool shafts.
Extremely dusty and difficult to control, but with practice you can use it like a knife to carve.
Be careful because you can easily wind up with a vibration nerve injury.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy