Fourth billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
amnell

Fourth billiard

Post by amnell »

Following the recommendation to make billiards to improve as a beginner I’ve began to throw one in between every other pipe or so. This is my fourth one and the best one yet. As always I try to implement something new to me in every pipe. This time using acrylic (polyester) as an extension together with an ebonite spacer and a copper inlay for added protection from cracking. Doubt about the need for the inlay, but a good opportunity to try it out.

LatakiaLover

Re: Fourth billiard

Post by LatakiaLover »

You are definitely on solid ground. :D (though that pipe is more Danish Brandy than English Billiard :mrgreen: )

High marks for technical execution in construction/design terms. You seem to know your way around a lathe. 8)

Shape-wise, the shank is a bit too large for the bowl, and the stem has some wonk goin' on---it's about 1/4" too long, the side profile is too thin at the base of the blade, the top/bottom view "bulging flare" is clunky (a smooth outward taper is more elegant), and the ornamental ring-thing is too upright on the shank side. There are also what look like machine marks between the ring-thing and the extension.

For some reason---maybe photo post-processing?---every surface looks slightly rough, so am not sure what's real in that regard and what's not (so will withhold comment).

Overall, truly impressive for a beginner. The fundamentals are all there.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

:thumbsup: A lovely pipe in all ways, and not a billiard at all.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Token criticism: the blade of the stem is a little "paddle" shaped, and that is in no way beneficial or harmonious with the rest of the shaping. A more definite line on the sides of the stem would improve the pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

amnell

Post by amnell »

Wow. Thanks for the great feedback guys! It is invaluable to get honest feedback from other pipe makers and it definently helps me with improving my work.

After some googling I agree that brandy is a better match. Pipe shapes are hard and I now fully understand why billiards are recommended for improving ones craftmanship. One wrong turn, even a minimal one, is easily identifiable.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice pipe! I agree it's more brandy than billiard. The only thing I would add as a suggestion is to turn a full tenon on the briar shank and attach the shank adornment (I'm assuming faux ivory.) That way your adornment is less likely to come unglued and your mortise will be briar. Because briar is so dense, briar mortises are less likely to change shape under varying conditions and over time. There's a lot of unknown with other materials that may not be time tested for longevity.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
amnell

Post by amnell »

Great feedback wdteipen [emoji106] I’ve definently noticed changes in the tenon fit after finishing. I’ve since tried leaving briar for the mortises and the fit is consistent. Looking at the pipes with long horn extensions I guess this is a whole other issue. Is it better to use military mount together with a metal inlay in those cases?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Depends on a whole lot of things with horn. It’s a complicated material to work with. Working it also smells like burning Sasquatch hair on a hot august afternoon.

But seriously, the age, animal type, overall quality... it’s finicky... but also amazing to get right. My favorite part of a cow other than the tasty steak parts.

I can’t believe all you guys haven’t been banned from using the internets yet.

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

andrew wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:53 am I can’t believe all you guys haven’t been banned from using the internets yet.

Andrew
I'll be damned. We thought you'd packed it in. :shock:

Gentlemen, meet one of the best pipe finishers on planet Earth. 8)

What's the story? The siren call of pipemaking finally win you back for another go? :?:
andrew

Post by andrew »

Not quite ready to jump back in yet, but kids are getting older. I’ve got another few years of kids at home and things may change. Trying to make sure I spend my time wisely :)

Glad to see you guys are still keeping some of the crew on the straight and narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk